Single topic debate #13

Projekt

Registered
I think you fellow experienced riders will agree that the necessity of a graduated licensing program, similar to UK or European standards, for motorcycle riders should be ratified on a Federal level in order to deccelerate the incidence of fatalities of new riders. It is not something that should be aimed only at the novice teenager aspiring for a literbike. It should be a broad scope requirement for all aspiring riders, particularly the retired set in the market for a classic machine such as a Harley Davidson or metric cruiser, to adhere to prior to receiving an endorsement. All Motorcycle operators would need to demonstrate their ability to handle their various motorcycles to include laying the bike on it's side using a protective mat and picking up. Or some sort of leg strength test to measure the operator's ability to hold the bike at a 45-55 degree angle at full stop. Riders regardless of experience over the age of 62 would need yearly requalification exams both written and on closed course conditions. Obviously, riders that could demonstrate advanced riding techniques due to EXTENSIVE previous MC or MX experience, would be placed on a fasttrack program to unlimited riding liberities.
Enjoy your 50cc bike for three months and X# miles and come back for the test and the 125cc, then onto the 250cc for 90 days and X# of miles then you can buy what you want and show us you can pick it up if you drop it, or show us your leg will not slide out when I push you with a predetermined springload.
Under my proposal, it would be a good business to go into motorcycle leasing and training programs. I will rent you the bike and will accompany you for training. You will know how to drag a knee because of all of your practice on my closed course figure eight.

I think you fellow experienced riders will agree that the necessity of a graduated licensing program, similar to UK or European standards, for motorcycle riders should be ratified on a Federal level in order to deccelerate the incidence of fatalities of new riders. It is not something that should be aimed only at the novice teenager aspiring for a literbike. It should be a broad scope requirement for all aspiring riders, particularly the retired set in the market for a classic machine such as a Harley Davidson or metric cruiser, to adhere to prior to receiving an endorsement. All Motorcycle operators would need to demonstrate their ability to handle their various motorcycles to include laying the bike on it's side using a protective mat and picking up. Or some sort of leg strength test to measure the operator's ability to hold the bike at a 45-55 degree angle at full stop. Riders regardless of experience over the age of 62 would need yearly requalification exams both written and on closed course conditions. Obviously, riders that could demonstrate advanced riding techniques due to EXTENSIVE previous  MC or MX experience, would be placed on a fasttrack program to unlimited riding liberities.
Enjoy your 50cc bike for three months and X# miles and come back for the test and the 125cc, then onto the 250cc for 90 days and X# of miles then you can buy what you want and show us you can pick it up if you drop it, or show us your leg will not slide out when I push you with a predetermined springload.
Under my proposal, it would be a good business to go into motorcycle leasing and training programs. I will rent you the bike and will accompany you for training. You will know how to drag a knee because of all of your practice on my closed course figure eight.
While were at it, let's do a similar thing with Parenting. At least riders usually injure themselves when not qualified, whereas crappy parents harm people.

In response to the original question, I'm for the freedom to be stupid. I think government does way too much babysitting and needs to stay out of people's personal lives.

<!--EDIT|Relsek
Reason for Edit: None given...|1157219186 -->

I like the idea of stepped licensing... It should be based on skill level. As long as the instructor thinks you're good to move up, you can. I think an MSF course should also be standard. I'm usually for Darwinism, but too many guys can go out and but a 180+ MPH missile when they have no business on a 20mph slug...

I'm all for graduated licensing but not at a Fed level. Keep it to the states.

--Wag--

But any old fart/or rich kid , can run out and buy a 200 mph Z06 . Should sports car drivers go thru the same thing ? How about these soccer moms driving the huge SUV's . Should they have to move up in size slowly too ? Most of them can't drive 'em worth a crap !
wink.gif

Not sure that I agree with graduated licensing, but I do think a MSF course should be a requirement to get your license.

I think you should be qualified for what you drive.  Ensuring that it's done is costly but I also believe that passing that cost on to drivers is appropriate.  Of course, it means car licenses will cost upwards of $1,000 and motorcycle licenses three or four times that amount.  Automatic confiscation of vehicles of people who don't have the proper licensing for the vehicles they drive.

Might keep some more people alive.

--Wag--

<!--EDIT|Wag
Reason for Edit: None given...|1157293003 -->

But any old fart/or rich kid ,  can run out and buy a 200 mph Z06 . Should sports car drivers go thru the same thing ? How about these soccer moms driving the huge SUV's . Should they have to move up in size slowly too ? Most of them can't drive 'em worth a crap !
wink.gif
To answer your questions... YES!!! I believe our testing should be more like Germany's driving test. VERY strict. Also, I think the laws should be like Germany. Why? Because look at the stats... Fewer wrecks in Germany than here per capita. Why? Because even though they drive 100+ on the autobahn (which we should have here if the laws are enforced like that), the drivers know to stay to the left unless passing, and if they're caught in the passing lane NOT passing, they get a HEAVY fine.

But any old fart/or rich kid ,  can run out and buy a 200 mph Z06 . Should sports car drivers go thru the same thing ? How about these soccer moms driving the huge SUV's . Should they have to move up in size slowly too ? Most of them can't drive 'em worth a crap !
wink.gif
To answer your questions... YES!!! I believe our testing should be more like Germany's driving test. VERY strict. Also, I think the laws should be like Germany. Why? Because look at the stats... Fewer wrecks in Germany than here per capita. Why? Because even though they drive 100+ on the autobahn (which we should have here if the laws are enforced like that), the drivers know to stay to the left unless passing, and if they're caught in the passing lane NOT passing, they get a HEAVY fine.
Good point Ben !
idea.gif

wink.gif
Good point Ben !    
idea.gif
Thanks, I get those everyonce in a while.
tounge.gif

I do not think we need to government telling us what we can or cannot do. If they start with licensing where would they stop??

As free citizens we can use our own judgement.
brave.gif

If I am not qualified to jump into a commercial passenger jet aircraft and fly it around without any experience, years of training, tests and certifications, then people shouldn't be allowed to jump on a 1000cc cycle without years of experience, training and test

and I agree about the parenting thing also

I do not think we need to government telling us what we can or cannot do.  If they start with licensing where would they stop??  

brave.gif
Maybe not the federal Govment... but it should be governed. TOO many people that shouldn't be on bikes anyway are on busas, 14, 1000rr, even the 600's are too much for them. Usually because they have no respect for the power, they just know "twist the throttle, front comes up, I get chics, people think I'm cool"... then they wheelie into a family van...

If I am not qualified to jump into a commercial passenger jet aircraft and fly it around without any experience, years of training, tests and certifications, then people shouldn't be allowed to jump on a 1000cc cycle without years of experience, training and test

and I agree about the parenting thing also
+1...

No thanks. I don't really need the fed or the state or even the local gov getting involved anymore than they have to... They suck enough joy out of my life already. They can't even manage their school districts in most areas and every other social program...

and to be honest I could give a rats ass how many new riders die from over confidence. If your stupid enough to buy something you can't handle you deserve what you get.

You can't legislate stupid... Thats the problem with this country is that we try to...

There are more car accidents that kill the family in the mini van for all the same reasons as the newby asshat on a high powered bike. So should we do the same thing with cars... You start off on a go cart
tounge.gif

wink.gif
Looks like STD#14 and yes you should have a competition license to own a ZO6, GT, Viper, Exotic. But, but, but, but, the bottom line is that the federal speedlimit is 75Mph. I don't care who you are in that case and the FED GOV don't either because the US DOT would just say, "if you need a competition license for the street you must be breakin da law"..

I think you should be qualified for what you drive.  Ensuring that it's done is costly but I also believe that passing that cost on to drivers is appropriate.  Of course, it means care licenses will cost upwards of $1,000 and motorcycle licenses three or four times that amount.  Automatic confiscation of vehicles of people who don't have the proper licensing for the vehicles they drive.

Might keep some more people alive.

--Wag--
And, it would have severe repercussions on our economy.... Just think about it. I think that the graduated licensing program should be subsidized by the Federal Government and controlled by the "de facto motorcycle authority of the USA": MSF. The MSF already penetrates far into the government so as to substitute a DMV course evaluation... Just make them a Full partner funded and answering to the US Department of Transportation.

wink.gif
We all know you meant STAY TO THE RIGHT unless passing... If you run out of gas on the AutoBahn for reasons other than catastrophic failure, you pay a fine. If your car is in disrepair you pay a fine. IF you have an oil leak, they call HAZMAT and you pay for all of that too.

I do not think we need to government telling us what we can or cannot do.  If they start with licensing where would they stop??  

brave.gif
I see that you subscribe to the Anarchist line of thought. But, we as responsible citizens should petition the Government on a Local, State and Federal Level in order to evaluate and adopt standards that are more conducive to efficiency and safety. Tell them to spend some of our GodDamned Taxes on domestic issues with a higher annual body count than the war on Islam, uhm I meant to say the war on terror... Do it without the whole Billy Bob Trooper "lets write some citations" attitude.

Back