Simple Tech Question...

Flicka

Professional Booga Flicka
Registered
I want to be able to charge my GoPro cameras while using them in the car. Instead of paying $30 for the GoPro branded charger, can I just use my iPhone charger? It has a USB plug.

I guess what I'm asking is are all USB chargers created equal as far as voltage and everything is concerned, or is there a reason I should buy the GoPro charger instead of using what I already have. I'd really rather not fry a camera if I can avoid it. :laugh:

Here's the GoPro charger. And here's my iPhone Charger.

if its one where you can plug any generic usb into then yes but if its a charger with a output on it thats a speciffic size and shape then no the charging rates vary

if its one where you can plug any generic usb into then yes but if its a charger with a output on it thats a speciffic size and shape then no the charging rates vary

The end that goes to the camera is a Mini USB, and the end that goes into the computer/charger is a regular USB.

Looks like this...

USBmini.jpg

Not really enough info on those sites. The GoPro must have a LiIon battery, don't know about the iphone. Compatibility only showed other iphones.
Some guru should be along shortly.

It's all about charging capacity...the ability of the transformer to supply a given current. In this case milli amps. The shape of the plug has no bearing on the transformer size supplying the current to charge the device.

With that said, the battery in your phone is probably as big if not bigger than the battery in a go pro so it should be fine. If you really want to know, look up ma capacity of each charger.

usb dc chargers are pretty much universal, i charged my gps, my old phone and a few other things of the same you will want to check the max output on the charger and what the max input for the go pro is cuz if its too high you can cook the battery, but a lower output is ok, just a slower charge

It's all about charging capacity...the ability of the transformer to supply a given current. In this case milli amps. The shape of the plug has no bearing on the transformer size supplying the current to charge the device.

With that said, the battery in your phone is probably as big if not bigger than the battery in a go pro so it should be fine. If you really want to know, look up ma capacity of each charger.

usb dc chargers are pretty much universal, i charged my gps, my old phone and a few other things of the same you will want to check the max output on the charger and what the max input for the go pro is cuz if its too high you can cook the battery, but a lower output is ok, just a slower charge

If it were mine I would try it. I have a mini cam that charges and downloads USB and a phone with the same connector. Out of desperation one night I attempted to charge the phone. No go. So obviously the pin out was different.

Thanks, guys. It looks like the GoPro charger puts out 1 amp per port, but I have no idea about my iPhone charger. If I can't be sure about it, I'll probably just offer up a few more Jacksons to GoPro.

I'd hate to burn up one of these babies and be out $300 because I was too cheap to get the right tool for the job. :laugh:

the chargers with a usb charging port additional is aprox 2.1amp when charging through either port fluxuating depending on draw or so thats what i just read off of a website lol youve got me curious cause i hate having to charge my gopro at home

Back