Silly Sergeant Major...

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
So an email came down today that the regimental sergeant major does not want trailers, boats, etc in the barracks parking lots. "The barracks parking lot isn't a storage facility." There are currently 2 trailers and one boat in my parking lot which are the only ones in the regiment that I have seen (about 10 total barracks that occupy a couple thousand guys). Obviously one of those trailers is mine which houses my tools, busa, and other things that I dont have room for in my barracks room (its super tiny, 3 guys to a room, blah blah etc). Its main purpose is to protect the busa while also holding other possessions.

Anyways, I did some research and there is no order against having a trailer in the parking lot. Called the provost marshalls office (base police), got the order (98 pages), and nothing against the trailer. I talked to one of the officers and as long as the trailer is properly registered and tagged there is nothing wrong about it.

So from all my findings and the extremem frustration this has put upon me already, I am not going to move my trailer. I am going to leave it as is until they plan on confronting me personally about it. It is not an eyesore, it is not hurting anyone else, it is not causing the barracks parking lot to be over crowded, nor is it in violation of any order. And as far as I can see, the other trailer and boat are not in violation either (I will do more research by talking to those people when I see them). So basically the sergeant major is saying move them because I feel like it. Well I say too bad :moon:. For now... :laugh: It is either going to get dropped and I wont hear about it again or it will be forced down and I will fight it within my respectful right until I am somehow forced to move it... :moon:

There are some things that are just completely unreasonable and stupid such as this. Rant over.

kind of funny how things like that happen in civilian life also, we get those kinds of things when superiors get bored and cant find anything better to do, i think your Sergeant needs to find something better to do also

Something along the lines of this?
fairlessmotors-boxtruck-proof01_ezr.jpg

This could go well for you, or it could go very badly for you. In the Air Force we have a position called a 1st Sgt. He is a liaison of sorts between the enlisted force in a squadron to the Commander. His only job is to ensure the enlisted are being productive and do not have any problems to worry about this way they can take care of the troops. Do you have anything like that in the USMC? Now, I am not talking about a command level Sgt, I am talking squadron level.

Anyway, you could bring your concerns up to him/her and they can voice your thoughts on the trailer issue. If your E-9 is only conveying the wishes of your Commander though, you may be fighting an uphill battle. If I were you, I would go to them though instead of them waiting to come to you. If you wait, this may be seen as you blowing them off and only piss them off even more. If you go to them, it will show you are willing to fight for what you think is right and will show that you are not afraid to approach a situation that you feel is wrong.

Keep us posted.

He hasn't been in here since. Maybe they off'd him already... :poke:

Russell..... Russell... Are ya there buddy?? ???

This could go well for you, or it could go very badly for you. In the Air Force we have a position called a 1st Sgt. He is a liaison of sorts between the enlisted force in a squadron to the Commander. His only job is to ensure the enlisted are being productive and do not have any problems to worry about this way they can take care of the troops. Do you have anything like that in the USMC? Now, I am not talking about a command level Sgt, I am talking squadron level.

Anyway, you could bring your concerns up to him/her and they can voice your thoughts on the trailer issue. If your E-9 is only conveying the wishes of your Commander though, you may be fighting an uphill battle. If I were you, I would go to them though instead of them waiting to come to you. If you wait, this may be seen as you blowing them off and only piss them off even more. If you go to them, it will show you are willing to fight for what you think is right and will show that you are not afraid to approach a situation that you feel is wrong.

Keep us posted.

Well I am not bucking anything, yet. I am just merely going to do nothing. This may blow over and nothing may come of it or it may go farther. I dont care whose idea it is, it is unreasonable and stupid.

He hasn't been in here since. Maybe they off'd him already... :poke:

Russell..... Russell... Are ya there buddy?? ???

Yes I am here :laugh:. I was on lunch when I posted this. My section is low on work right now so here I am now! :laugh:

Well I am not bucking anything, yet. I am just merely going to do nothing. This may blow over and nothing may come of it or it may go farther. I dont care whose idea it is, it is unreasonable and stupid.

I agree that it is unreasonable and stupid, but not unheard of, especially in the military. What about your base housing restrictions? Are the residents on base authorized to store trailers or boats in their driveway? I know on most Air Force bases you are not authorized to store anything, or do overnight maintenance in your driveway.

Your leadership may be taking this approach for the dorms as well. I agree that you should be afforded the ability to securely store your bike and tools, but you have to see it from the leaderships point of view as well.

As I said before, keep us posted as I have seen these sort of battles go either way.

I agree that it is unreasonable and stupid, but not unheard of, especially in the military. What about your base housing restrictions? Are the residents on base authorized to store trailers or boats in their driveway? I know on most Air Force bases you are not authorized to store anything, or do overnight maintenance in your driveway.

Your leadership may be taking this approach for the dorms as well. I agree that you should be afforded the ability to securely store your bike and tools, but you have to see it from the leaderships point of view as well.

As I said before, keep us posted as I have seen these sort of battles go either way.

There are none in the base order. Trailers are allowed to be stored behind residences in on base housing according to the base order. There is no order on not being able to have a trailer in my barracks parking lot.

No way in hell am I going to inconvenience myself like that. I dont want to drive to a storage unit and take 20 minutes to get off base every time I feel like riding...

Well, we all have bosses, and at times they can be pricks. Typically you deal with it or find another job. You go off base to ride anyway. Only you can make the decision; because in the end you're the only one that has to live with it.

Tell them you can't afford storage every month. Then come back and say if you give me BAH and BAS I can move off post and store it in my own yard.

Well, we all have bosses, and at times they can be pricks. Typically you deal with it or find another job. You go off base to ride anyway. Only you can make the decision; because in the end you're the only one that has to live with it.

Except for Saturday, I ride all on base usually. The busa is my primary vehicle....

Back