sidestand and its best use

Berlin Germany

Registered
(...)A feew weeks ago the bike fell over on the left side, the kickstand must have slipped over the night. (...)

hi from across the pond

we here had several times the same big bulls h i t.

as the first remedy to prevent the sidestand from folding in independently,
in every busa sidestand (´99-´07, gen2 i have no exp.) we cut a notch approx. 3 mm deep and approx. 6-7 mm wide in the sidestand, where it abuts the counterholder.
as a result, the side stand now folds out a little further forward (3-6°) and the stand's slipping away is reduced. (the busa leans a bit more but that is def. no problem)

in order to almost completely prevent the motorcycle from rolling away, the following has emerged as the best choice when you wanna stop (every bike)
all of the following applies to really every bike - no matter what brand it is (I'll exclude the HDs - no idea how it is with them):

- keep motor running
- shift gearbox into 1st gear and keep clutch pulled
- kick out the side stand (fold out) - this nomally switches off the engine by the sidestand switch
- release the clutch
- push the motorcycle forward until the engine stops you (engine brake)
- pull the handbrake so that the motorcycle can no longer roll (back?) and keep the brake tigthened
- lower the motorcycle (with still tightnend hand brake) on the side stand while turning the fork completely to the left
- release the handbrake only after the bike stands on its sidestand

done - the motorcycle is very secure, even with the nose downhill it does not roll on.

this way i do it with every bike since more than 25 years and i since then never more lost a bike.
better / more saver you can´t leave a bike on its sidestand.

Will this work if bike is lowered using the soupys tori lowering block and rear lowering links?
I used a 3/4” handlebar spacer and lowered the back the same amount - you’re going to want to shorten the kickstand - easiest if you just cut, taper ends, reweld. I looked at some shorter adjustable stands on eBay but they were cheesy and not cheap !!

Here’s the stock kickstand shortened by 1”..... It leans over just about right - in this pic I’m parked beside the house so I have it “stood up” a bit to keep it out of any rain.

Back