SIDE PANEL TIP

UncleSteve

Gear good - roadrash bad
Donating Member
Registered
There are two rubber grommets located in the upper part of the side panels.
They are mounted in the ram air ducts.
If you or your mechanic are not careful, they can come off and will lay helpless inside the ram air duct. You will not know unless you shine a flashlight in the duct from the front and look to the very back of the duct.
If this has happened and you have been riding (fast enough to blow the grommet back into the airbox) when you open the airbox and remove the filter, BINGO!!! there they are lying there all by them their lonesome.
so my point is this.
If you don't change oil and have it done, you will learn how good your mechanic is on a GEN 2, and if he really cares.
If you do your own,you will understand what to check for when putting the side panel back on.
I have a method which should work. It took me three times to get it right.
Anyone interested let me know.
If you have had your Gen 2 apart, you understand, the panels are a handful. Especially the first time. Can't be done in a big hurry.

grommet.JPG

That happend to me installing my friends alien head exhaust, but I caught it when it pushed into the airduct, and was able to get it out with a long needle nose pliers, but you do have to be careful, good post to let everyone know..
thumb_up.gif

Back