Side Cowel Removal

Kaldari

Registered
I'm in the process of taking all my plastics off to do some mods, and I'm having the hardest time getting my side cowling off.

It seems like I've gotten every bolt/fastener out, but something is holding it up near the nose of the bike. The whole side literally hangs from the front cowling. I've looked in from every possible angle and I just can't figure out what's holding it. I've tried sliding it forward with a pretty good amount of force but it won't budge. I slipped the side back onto a couple grommets until I figure it out.

See the "pinned" thread above. Takes some getting used to, I've done it four times now. Be brave, it takes a little effort to pop all the connectors. Be very sure that you pulled all the pins. I was most worried about stressing the plastic, did not happen. Also, there is a rear wing shaped airfoil underneath the bike & behind the cowl that will "hang" when you remove the cowl, Remove it or somehow secure it in the "up" position or you put it at grave risk of damage :whistle:

had the same problem, just slide your hand inside the plastic up near the nose at the seam, you will feel 3 locking tabs, a little push on them to open them and the side comes off. good luck

I got back in the garage today to start working on it again and finally figured it out.

I'm in the process of installing a Titanium R77, PCIII, Laser Interceptor, Vizalert, and a Speedohealer. I got the exhaust off around 1pm. I wanted to keep going, but the heat index was around 108. I started feeling like bacon in a frying pan. Back at it in the morning though!

Thanks for the help guys.

I took my 05 up for an oil change along with a pack of red labels. The guy said he would put one where ever there is a pin or bolt. Maybe I'll take some pics when I get it back.

Floyd

I got back in the garage today to start working on it again and finally figured it out.

I'm in the process of installing a Titanium R77, PCIII, Laser Interceptor, Vizalert, and a Speedohealer. I got the exhaust off around 1pm. I wanted to keep going, but the heat index was around 108. I started feeling like bacon in a frying pan. Back at it in the morning though!

Thanks for the help guys.

Take pictures. I'm interested in the laser interceptor

Anyone else that reads this thread and needs help figuring out how to remove the side panel, once you have all pins and fastners removed, you have to tilt the panel forward and lift up to remove it. There is one pin that is on top that the panel that it basically hangs from. Gently lift straight up and it will come off.

Removing the side cowl/fairing is not hard at all, it just looks hard.

Just take your time and don't rush. I can't believe when I first got my busa i would take it to the dealer to get the oil changed cuz I was afraid to mess with the fairing but actually its pretty simple to remove, just a lot of fasteners you have to remove before the fairing comes off, take your time.

I know it's been over a year since interest started picking up as to what it looked like after I was done, but I figured I'd post some pics anyway for anyone who wanders through. This wasn't too long after the initial work mentioned in the OP.

I didn't have a wide enough close-up shot of my handlebars, but I zoomed into the full res version of wider one. The red arrow points to where I mounted the jammer switch. You can also see the little red switch for my speed-o-healer mounted right next to it. That would show me on the gauges the top recorded speed since I last reset with a long press.

This first shot was taken without my knowledge after unloading it at a relatives house. The rims are embarrassingly dirty. :confused2: The rest are from another time with the bike cleaned up, how it should be.

08busa_zps45859075.png

bike10.png

bike11.png

bikerear_zpsedf7a35f.png

bike14.png

bikeswitches_zpsa9137015.png

bike26.png

bike25.png

I like it. I have an 05 that is blue and sliver. I'd like to replace the silver, and you've given me some ideas. What kind of radar detector is that?

Floyd

Back