Sick Turbo, need expert advice

Postal

Donating Member
Registered
Turbo experts, need some trouble shooting advice please. I have a stage 1 Getto, AEM controller. Here is what is happening:

When I am under acceleration or just crusing down the highway bike falls flat but doesn't die, just falls flat, comes back, and falls flat. Throttling it doesn't help. No response out of the throttle until it comes back. When it falls flat the "Check" comes on the dash and the tach swings from 0 to way high eradically. It backfires too.

Any advice on where to start troubleshooting? My first thought was a fuel-feed problem. I am running 92 octain.

Thanks.

P.

???

Check the fuel pressure and sounds like she is loading up some (RICH)..

Sounds like the blades inside are locking up
How many miles on the turbo and is it bearing or bushing

Thats my thoughts

Sounds like the blades inside are locking up
How many miles on the turbo and is it bearing or bushing

Thats my thoughts

Less than a few hundred miles on the turbo. Not sure what RCC uses for their Stage 1 (bearing or bushing), but that is what I have.

Thanks.

Are you using a FMU? If so......what year? The new 1's from RCC are the business Tom.

Check the simple first. Check your plenum and make sure it is clamped down tight. Next check your connection from the turbo to the plenum.

It is amazing to me that with the "check" light coming on and the tachometer going wild that everybody is talking about fuel pressure and plenums and other stupid things that have nothing to do with an electrical problem. It sounds to me like your side stand switch is the problem . . .:whistle:

It is amazing to me that with the "check" light coming on and the tachometer going wild that everybody is talking about fuel pressure and plenums and other stupid things that have nothing to do with an electrical problem. It sounds to me like your side stand switch is the problem . . .:whistle:

Checked that, it's fine. The bike doesn't die when it falls flat, it simply goes into an idle mode for a second or two, just as of you let off comlpetely on the throttle. The tach swinging wildly and the "check" coming on are indicative of the computer reacting to the lack of fuel or an interuption in anticipated performance. I am trouble shooting the obvious right now though, then it will go to a tuner for a thorough diagnostics check.

Thanks for the tips, keep them coming.

P.

ecu's and FI codes are very common with fmu issues...my hahn kit did it all the time...

a wild tach however....I was watching the road...no clue if the tach went wild for a few seconds or not.

Okay, went through every external square inch of the system tonight. Tightened every clamp, checked every hose, air and fuel, for any cracks or leaks; there were none. The plenum hose clamps were not as tight as I thought they should be, tightened them up. Plenum was rock solid in place. There was a hose coming off the top of the blowoff valve that looks like it may have been pinched while the fairing was on. It's okay and not damaged. No visible cracks in the header either.

So everything external looks good. Bike started fine, as always. Ran it up to about 4,000 rpms in 2nd gear on the stand, so far no sign of the problem. Real test will be tomorrow when I ride it, that's when it was falling off (at about 4,000 rpms while riding it). So well see tomorrow. More to come......

Thanks all.

P.

:beerchug:

Back