Shrinking K&N air filter?

majestic12

Hunting Kawasakis
Donating Member
Registered
I run K&N air filters on my bike and my truck. I just serviced my filter with K&N power clean and set it on the shelf in the house to dry. (it is 30 degrees and it would have frozen in my garage). It is a large ring that is standard in 60's and 70's trucks and vans. When I got up in the morning the top was noticeably smaller then the bottom. wondering if it would still fit I place it in place and it has lost about an inch in diameter. The one on my truck is about 12 years old.

Has anyone run across this?

Haha, never seen that. But aren't K&N filter elements made from cotton?

They are a gauze material yes. That is what I thought but why would the rubber ends shrink.

They are a gauze material yes. That is what I thought but why would the rubber ends shrink.

I got nothing for you on that. Surely you wouldn't have enough heat built up around it to do that. You might just check with K&N. Maybe they'll replace it for you..? :dunno:

I wonder if I can warm up the rubber and stretch it back out. At least with the older style air cleaners housings I can still create a seal on the upper and lower portions of the filter. I checked and I can get a new one for $42. Not bad but it irks me that I might need to replace a serviceable filter. I wonder if there is a service life to the filters that we normally don't have to worry about due to most of us not having our cars longer then 8 years.

They have a lifetime warranty. The last one I had a problem with, they replaced "no questions asked". I would give a call before I just bought another one.

I am still waiting on a response from K&N. I had forgotten about the life time warranty, thanks for the reminder.

I have started the warranty process. They wanted pictures of the misshaped filter so here is one I sent them.

The square is in the photo to show how much it is off. Thanks to the dome of the lower half of my filter housing the bottom of the air filter stretched out the top and bottom of my air filter will seal again. This was important because it is getting cold up here and I need to keep my Holly 4160 from icing in the colder temps that are on the way.

k&n shrunk.jpg

k&n shrunk.jpg

I contacted K & N and they were just as bewildered as I was. They did send me a new filter on a warranty. Not sure why it happened but I didn't have to buy a new one. Great warranty service.

I contacted K & N and they were just as bewildered as I was. They did send me a new filter on a warranty. Not sure why it happened but I didn't have to buy a new one. Great warranty service.

They're ya go, good to hear we still have good companies out there:thumbsup:

Back