Shrink wrap for bottles - kids school project need help

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
So I have a project for school (the kiddo's school that is) where they want to put a few things into a bottle and seal it "factory fresh" and then monitor it along side another bottle that is closed but not "sealed" and yet a 3rd bottle with the top left open. they are learning about how moisture in the air and other things can impact the growth and evaporation.

problem is no one can figure out how to reseal a bottle effectively. My thought was shrink wrapping it just like they do from the factory...now the trick is finding some pvc shrink film to do it. I dont need 500' of the stuff which so far is about the smallest way to buy it.

Anyone have any insight or suggestions?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Can't you buy those vacuum packers at wally world?
Also like fma said canning.
Posted via Mobile Device

they were going to can it but the process to seal with canning required too much heat, would effectively kill any organisms that could have been introduced in the filling process. They are looking at a way to get an air tight seal after something is placed into the container

Do you know anyone that works heating and air. They'd have access to a vac pump. How to get it adapted to whatever is the question.
Posted via Mobile Device

if you have a buddy at "Best Buy" they have shrink wrap machines at their stores.. might be able to hustle a bit of the wrap...

they were thinking of something like a mouthwash bottle, large enough volume of air, the opening is big enough to put something in and is clear so they can watch things.....also plastic so breakage isnt an issue (ya know schools have to worry with that stuff)

some good info so far, caulk could work but could be messy.

Bogus if you can score some sheets that would rock :thumbsup: They are just trying to seal a few bottles, would just need enough for maybe 5 or 6 :beerchug:

Clear wine bottles. Get a rubber plug???
Posted via Mobile Device

could work, but the glass is the biggest issue. bottles will be subjected to a variety of handling, they would need to survive the 5' fall test :whistle:

rubber plug, got me thinking though.... they still have that tool handle dip stuff around right? ???

A science/hobby shop should have varying plugs. What about cork and wax?
Posted via Mobile Device

hmm... guess if we could find a cork the right size.... teachers dont want to mess with too much, they'll have the kiddos floating around them ;)

If you use a bottle thats got a good amount of threads, use some teflon tape. wrap it around the threads and screw the lid on tight.No mess but just as effective as caulking would be.:thumbsup: You really need to find a way to vacuume the air out of the sealed container though.Good luck it the project.:beerchug:

Why not get a rubber inner tube and cut circles the size of the inside of the mouthwash bottle cap? Use rubber cement to glue them to the inside of the cap, then simply screw them on tightly.

The goal is not to create a vacumn inside the sealed bottle, correct? The goal is to prevent exterior contamination from entering once the cap is closed.

If you need no air inside the sealed bottle, fill it full to overflowing before screwing the cap with inner tube seal onto it. This should minimize/eliminate any air that might get trapped inside.

Back