Show me your camera mounts

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
I'm toying with getting a mount for a video camera/still camera. I want to see what folks are using or making.

I have seen the Sticky Pod things and the ones that mount to the tank, just curious what works best and what else is out there.
cool.gif

Sticky Pod
stickypod_dashcam_300.jpg

Sport Bike Cam
FRONTR1.jpg

the sportbike cam mount is nice...until you decide that you want a custom gas cap.... errr
more than a few of the custom makers do not have the same number of screw holes for their pieces.

I just pm'ed zukracer back about this so...bare with me here and lemme be so bold as to explain (and ask)...

My parents just bought the wife and I a new sony camcorder for christmas...the first we've ever had...and I KNOW it's gonna being doing some miles on my busa..I also know I'm gonna be designing and machining this thing custom for myself...to accept either/or...a camcorder or laser/radar detector..my question to zukracer was if he wanted me to make two of'em when I do this...my question to the board here is...should I bother to make a batch of'em?...are there others of you here who might desire such an item?

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Oh and PS...it's gonna be custom for myself..a life long machinist/fabricator...so you could count on the fact that it's gonna be kickazz...but it's one of tose things I'll only do once and run "One Batch" of...so speak now if there's any intrest.

I pm'd ya back, but heck yea was the answre
cool.gif
Lemmie know what the design is like and relative costs
cool.gif

cool.gif

If the price was right, I'd do it. My big concern is that it works with my double bubble. A vertical adjustment would be nice.

...so you could count on the fact that it's gonna be kickazz...
I count on it !
smile.gif
That would be awesome... if price right...
smile.gif

Make it heavy. vibrations is not good for video nor camera itself..
I saw but one mounting design I liked and that was on Vmans Busa at the bash before last...it was a machined "tripod style" arrangment where it bolted to the filler cap ring and then spanned the forward portion of the tank using the TWO front tank bolt locations and...it was extremely "solid".

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

smile.gif

If the price was right, I'd do it.  My big concern is that it works with my double bubble.  A vertical adjustment would be nice.
another good point..."Adjustability"...and my design would incorporate a clevis/hinge joint which would allow for slight "up and down" and "for and aft"..."adjustability"...as I'd want my radar dector laying low and then would prefer the camcorder to be perched slighty higher.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I can`t imagine without seeing it... I think two tank mounting screws as additional support and two tank screws would be the best. It could be billet patform very solid with fastmounting system on it. Sportcam not easy to unscrew all the time you stopped and needed your camera to make some nice shots...

and big enoght to mount Ipod, etc etc

BTW. I can powdercoat it for everybody...
smile.gif

That flat spot from front tank screws and gus cap is useless anyway...

Man, i can imagine how cool it could be machined..

should also work as a gps mount, though I have no idea how those mount. The thing with a custom mount is trying to make it inconspicuous, like it belongs there. I've thought of a gps and mount but that has been one of the drawbacks, not wanting to ass-up the looks of the bike when you're using/not using it. Ideally something that would be a quick disconnect would be sweet, but would require alot more thought and engineering.

However, I do believe if you come up with a solid/functional/cosmetic design............there'd be plenty of interest here on the board.

stem stand that what I use for now. It is very nicely made.. It`s kinda loose at the stem, I changed rubber rings like 3 times with no success. Maybe I have wrong stem diameter...
rock.gif

jwcfbd can you measure you stem diameter? Please. not the hole, stick inself.

Im kinda surprised that flea-bay link would not be a good design, I had considered mocking something like that up for myself... maybe I'll pass instead.

Oh yeah, and if Jinkster comes up with something good, I would be interested.

That "flea bay" model looks like a freaking diving board....and imho probably has just as much "boing" to it....but hey...for $25.95?...it hasta be a simplistic sheet metal stamping with two bends in it...it's a shame really....as all the guy hadta do is welda couple strip stock gussets to either side for a "solid" product.

I dunno zuk...seems like there's a plethora of these things already out there...I'd hate to piss away time and materials re-inventing the wheel..especially such a small wheel....besides...I've been diddling 'round with this dual megaphone slip-ons idea I've been toying with lately...daydream'in....or would that be...pipe dreaming?
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

yeah the thought was if you could do something "better" and for possibly a savings off the others. I mean, I want video but not sure how willing I am to spill the almost $100 for one of these other mounts. As others have mentioned, having a more "universal" mounting option for other devices would be great.

I already use my stem stand for my xm radio, so not gonna give that up
wink.gif
for video which is why I was looking around.

Back