Should i let him get it?

busa_bill

Life - tastes like chicken!
Donating Member
Registered
My son has limited riding experience, but has done fine on his FZR600. So well, that the '98 used bike has served it purpose, and it's time for it to go. Thinking new bike now, and the choices are as follows. The conservative move would be to a GSX-R750. He's thinking more along the lines of a 1000cc, like a ZX10R. We've been on rides together, and he is conserative in the way he rides; like when we had a Mustang street/strip car that he drove on the streets like his DD. I believe he takes after me and is mature enough to know his limits.
I'm looking at the prices of the liter bikes, and they are the same as a Busa. The power although less, is somewhat comparable in terms of driveability. I let him ride my Busa once, and he loved it. There is really no comparison as you all know. I'm entertaining the thought of letting him get his very own Busa. Thinking of letting him ride mine a few more times, and keeping a watchful eye on how he handles it.
Eighteen may be too young regardless, so I wanted other opinions.
Thanks

I think he'll be fine,especially if you tell him he pays the insurance if he gets tickets.You can only guide them,give him a chance to show what a good job you did with raising him.

Man, tough call.........The liter bikes are everybit an dangerous as the busa, and the 750's aint no joke either. Better look into insurance on all the bikes you are looking at, that may influence your decision also. At 18, maybe a newer 600 would be in order. What it boils down to is that you know your son better than any of us. Are you sure he drives with his head when you are not around? I know I wasnt mature enough to own ANY bike at 18. Seems like hes well ahead of me already though.

no matter what he rides....none of it you can control...accidents can happen anywhere but he seems to have demonstrated reservation where we....lol....dont...but we still ride....as daddy always told me...i can tell ya 3 times after that ...youll find out for your self.

I've heard stories of CBR600RR's outrunning Busa's up to 120mph. Really, any of these bikes are dangerous as hell.
So my thinking is; might as well get him one that rides smooth and has a solid feel to it.
Dunno, maybe I have my head up yonder?

I think he'll be fine,especially if you tell him he pays the insurance if he gets tickets.You can only guide them,give him a chance to show what a good job you did with raising him.
Amen, a 750 won't last long as far as his happiness and ultimately he will want a Busa, didn't we all. Why keep investing, throwing away money, in something that isn't what he really wants. If he rides responsibly and can afford the insurance I say let him get what he wants...

I wouldn't let my children ride motorcycles, knowing how dangerous it is. Ever since taking up this sport I've came close to death about a dozen+ times.

But, Like just like I did against the pleading of my parents , my kids will ride to whether I like it or not.:D t'is is life.

It really depends on his riding style and comfort on the bike. Is he going to do highway miles or is he going to do track days occasionally? How big is he? Does he plan on going over 150 mph, very often?
I ride a '04 GSX-R 600. I love it. I am only 150 lbs so it fits me great. I also do track days and it is unbelievable on the track! The racers here at our local track are lapping the track at about 1:26 on there 1000cc liter bikes and on 1:28 the 600cc bikes. Many times riders on 750cc bikes will beat other riders on 1000cc.
All these bikes today are crazy fast. the 600's of today are putting out the same horsepower as some of the 1000's were 10 years ago.

I would get him a Busa before a 1000cc of anymake if he was going for a big bike. The new 1000's are just way too much for the street, no matter how conservative you are. They are just plain squirly. He would be fine on 750. The whole gsxr line looks almost identical so if hes looking for cc's I think he'd be planning on using it.

I would get him a Busa before a 1000cc of anymake if he was going for a big bike. The new 1000's are just way too much for the street, no matter how conservative you are. They are just plain squirly. He would be fine on 750. The whole gsxr line looks almost identical so if hes looking for cc's I think he'd be planning on using it.
+1. The Busa is far more stable than the 1Ks. All of them will get you killed if you don't respect them.

I gotta say Busa (big surprise) much for same reason that had me buying it and the things I learned after I got it.

It's heavier and much more stable than any other sport bike, but because of power it's still nimble and ultra fast as well. However, thanks to the size of the motor it's also smooth as a babies bottom. This makes it a pleasure to ride and also very easy (it only goes as fast as you twist the throtle), it's not configured for a torquee little wheele machine.

Comfort, power, smooth operation, stability, not to meniton LOOKS...the list goes on and on.

Not to meniton, I paid 9000.00 for mine plus dealer BS...the GSXR 750 it was sitting next to went for 11,300. I'll take the Busa and thank you.
bowdown.gif

Amen, a 750 won't last long as far as his happiness and ultimately he will want a Busa, didn't we all.  Why keep investing, throwing away money, in something that isn't what he really wants.  If he rides responsibly and can afford the insurance I say let him get what he wants...
+1

Don't really know what you should do. However, I have a 750 and a Busa. The other day I went 89 mph at 13,000 rpm in 1st gear. You already know what the Busa can do. Any motorcycle can be dangerous.

IMO, if he's old enough to to fight and die for his country, he's old enough to own the bike of his choice. I would also add +1 to what big ern said about making him pick up the tab on the insurance. That's certainly a prime example of checks and balances.
thumbs-up.gif

IMO, if he's old enough to to fight and die for his country, he's old enough to own the bike of his choice.
Good point and I do respect your view on the matter, but this isn't about fighting or dieing for his country. This is about a young man owning a bike that has as much if not more power than a busa and being over a hundred pounds lighter.

The first time I rode the 05/06 1k I was pissed. It is to the day the only bike that I have ridden in the 10+ years of riding and racing sportbikes with well over 100K miles under my belt that I could not domninate.

I weigh 220lbs and was on a stock fresh unbroken in 06 1k. I cracked the throttle to wot carefully in second gear and started going through the gears. The wheel left the ground @ 7k in second and did not touch down until about redline in 5th @ 172 mph. This was with my a$$ off the seat and me well over the tank. My chin was hanging over the windscreen.

Now, if you want a good indication on being responsible. Think about yourselfs' when you were 18 years old.

Kinda scary huh?

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148953420 -->

Doesn't matter what his next bike is, you are going to say, same thing every time you see him...and, after he left for a ride...
the only thing you can do is pray...weather his got 1k, or 750 or busa...its his Karma...let him have what he wants...at least he'll be happy but on top of every thing? he will respect the busa all the way...

How bigga boy is he? can he handle the mass of the Busa? My rule before I let anybody even ride my stuff is if they can't lean it knee level and bring her back up safely, they can't get in the saddle. Dropping a bike at a stop sign sucks. Especially for the guy that owns it! The litre bikes are just as quick now and if he's not a biggun, it may actually be a better choice for him.

I would say hold out a few months - get yerself an '07 and let him have yours.
biggrin.gif

But seriously - I agree - any of the race-ready 600's or above are prolly every bit as dangerous as a Busa. They are all crazy-fast! It's all in the maturity and ability to control the right wrist.

Sounds like you've given him good instruction and guidance. All you can do is hope that it's paid off. Afterall, he's 18 - if he wants a litre bike or a Busa bad enough, he'll get one.

Good luck in your decision.

IMO, if he's old enough to to fight and die for his country, he's old enough to own the bike of his choice.
Good point and I do respect your view on the matter, but this isn't about fighting or dieing for his country. This is about a young man owning a bike that has as much if not more power than a busa and being over a hundred pounds lighter.

The first time I rode the 05/06 1k I was pissed. It is to the day the only bike that I have ridden in the 10+ years of riding and racing sportbikes with well over 100K miles under my belt that I could not domninate.

I weigh 220lbs and was on a stock fresh unbroken in 06 1k. I cracked the throttle to wot carefully in second gear and started going through the gears. The wheel left the ground @ 7k in second and did not touch down until about redline in 5th @ 172 mph. This was with my a$$ off the seat and me well over the tank. My chin was hanging over the windscreen.

Now, if you want a good indication on being responsible. Think about yourselfs' when you were 18 years old.

Kinda scary huh?
Dude, you didn't just nibble on that hook, you really chomped down hard! All in good fun though, I would still let him have the busa, even though at 18 I was getting tickets from state troopers for reckless driving in excess of 80mph, and we won't even get into the alcohol consumption factor. Nowdays, I'm too scared to do that kinda stuff anymore.
40__s.gif

Seriously though, there's not many ways better to go, than on a busa, and you gotta factor in that everybodys gotta die sometime, so you can't dwell on it. IMO, those who live long usually lose their looks and suffer greatly, so refer back to that ol James Dean quote.

Back