Should I install my Scorpio alarm or not?

The Big Red One

Registered
I'm in the process of installing my scorpio alarm. But I'm starting to have some doubts
wowold.gif
I have a bad feeling its going to be more of a problem than a help
sadnews.gif
I've had to take the tailpiece off, and am going to have to cut into the wiring harness. I'm afraid after some of the things I've read that its going to strand me or cause other probs and I'll be pulling the bike apart again. Any feedback on the alarm and your experiences is greatly appreciated
winkold.gif
smile.gif
cool.gif

dont they have plugs so that you dont have to cut your factory harness? I was looking at scorpio alarm before I bought the roadlok.

If you don't use the bike specific harness, it comes with crimp in connectors with spade males to clip on. It takes all of 10 minutes total after removing the tail. All you need to splice into is the tail lights for power (orange I think), turn signals (Black and Gray - rear only) to blink with alarm arm and disarm, and the ground (Black with white stripe). Thats IT!!!

Josh

I bought the plugs with my scorpio it was like another 10 bucks. But if you want the ignition cut off to work you still have to cut into the harness. They offer 3 or 4 suggestions on where to cut into it, but in my opinion the easiest was at the fuse block (under the left hand Inner panel) it is in wire you have to cut, and I figured if I dorked it up it was the easiest to replace. I took my tail off and my left fairing to hide the wires and get into the brake light assembly and hide all those wires. It really is easy man. Just don't use those little push by hand crimps they give you. They promote corossion and they never give a good connection. Get a box of crimps (at least 2) some 6 ft of good wire (I think the harness is 12 gauge) and do it your self. The dealership will probably charge you 120 dollars for 2 hours of labor to put it in for you and they probably have as much experince with scorpios on a busa as you do. Do your self it will cost you 10 bucks. 20 if you buy the harness plugs from scorpio which I really recommend it made the task a lot easier. Shoot me a PM if I can help.

Don't use the crimps if you know how to solder.

--Wag--

It is not hard to do as others have said. I opted to not install the ignition kill feature at the time, but may do so later. My bike is never that far from me, so I just wanted to alert passersby and give me notification that someone was around.

Haven't installed mine yet but it doesn't look that tough at all. After a few times the tail comes off easily. Just take your time and you won't scratch anything doing it. Heck I still tape around my fairings when removing... Just piece of mind.

I'm fretting about fork removal/install coming up soon.

DON'T HACK YOUR HARNESS! Scorpio offers adapter harness so that the unit becomes "plug-and-play". You will only need to splice/interconnect a lead in the factory harness if you use the anti-hijack module.

I installed the anti-hijack lead by splicing it in line with the power lead to the fuel pump under the tank. Sure it was a little extra effort to install it there, but I thought it would be harder to find for an unskilled potential thief. Also, since I feel that killing the fuel pump is safer than killing the ECM.

+1 to the advice to solder, not butt-splice. Scorpio supplies you with the decent quality tap connectors, but you can't beat the reliability, and serviceability of adding an interconnect harness, or soldering.

DON'T HACK YOUR HARNESS! Scorpio offers adapter harness so that the unit becomes "plug-and-play". You will only need to splice/interconnect a lead in the factory harness if you use the anti-hijack module.

I installed the anti-hijack lead by splicing it in line with the power lead to the fuel pump under the tank. Sure it was a little extra effort to install it there, but I thought it would be harder to find for an unskilled potential thief. Also, since I feel that killing the fuel pump is safer than killing the ECM.

+1 to the advice to solder, not butt-splice. Scorpio supplies you with the decent quality tap connectors, but you can't beat the reliability, and serviceability of adding an interconnect harness, or soldering.
I have the busa harness and the ignition cut out...willing to sell both. adapter doesn't work on my gixxer.

+1 Definitely solder, any connections I make on my bike are soldered. Easy install took me about 20min. Get the plug and play harness. Still waiting on the anti hi-jack. I'm going to do the fuel pump also. Which color wire is it on the 08's?

The wire for the anti-hijack module that I used was YELLOW/RED

I don't know if Scorpio has updated their part numbers, but the 99-07 plug-and-play harness does NOT work. I was the first to use one of their harnesses on an '08, and it took me two trips to their shop to get it right (Scorpio support is first rate). The correct part number is SUZ-6

Thanks guys for all the replies
smile.gif
I have a first gen busa and I do have the connector kit....but I also have the anti-hijack module that kills the ignition. I have to cut into an ignition wire to use it
wowold.gif
That, and the fact I don't want something added into the system that could fail and kill my bike, is why I'm going to skip the anti-hijack part. I live in a smaller area...we don't have bikejackings, and by the time somebodies within a couple of feet of the bike (let alone moving it) all hells breaking loose...I'm being paged and there before there's any time for hot-wiring
winkold.gif
(they'll prolly throw it in a van before that anyway
sad.gif
)
I bought the alarm mainly for the proximity sensor. I want to know when somebodies close to my bike...BEFORE they touch it...not after
winkold.gif
Plus I want them to hear the chirps and back off
laugh.gif

It sounds like overall tho, the alarms pretty dependable and everybody seems to like it
thumb_up.gif
winkold.gif
smile.gif

winkold.gif

winkold.gif

smile.gif

Love mine, easy install and I'm not mechanically inclined. Just remember to disarm the thing before boarding. Nothing worse than your own bike chirping at you to back off.
thumb_up.gif

I just recently installed mine...The alarm works great! That prox sensor is awesome. It defenately keeps people from getting too close to your baby.

Back