Should I do this myself?

Dark3

Registered
I have ftd extensions, ek chain, brake line, sprox sprocket, ransom top clamp and lowering links i want to put on the bike. Im not a mechanic just a army dude. I am mechanicly inclined and have alot of tools but no torque wrenches (and confused what kind of torque wrench to use on the big axle nut), chain break press rivet allignment tools, or bike jack at the moment. Would it be financially and/or safety smart to buy the tools and service manual or take it to a local shop to have it done? Thanks for your advice and any tips

Buy the tools and do it yourself. It will be cheaper and you have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. There is nothing on your list that takes major skills just basic mechanical knowledge.

agreed...though i wouldnt bother with torque wrench. I always tighten everything down till its good and tight. I haven't bothered with a torque wrench in 25 years plus of riding and fixing my bikes.

I have ftd extensions, ek chain, brake line, sprox sprocket, ransom top clamp and lowering links i want to put on the bike. Im not a mechanic just a army dude. I am mechanicly inclined and have alot of tools but no torque wrenches (and confused what kind of torque wrench to use on the big axle nut), chain break press rivet allignment tools, or bike jack at the moment. Would it be financially and/or safety smart to buy the tools and service manual or take it to a local shop to have it done? Thanks for your advice and any tips

A 3/8" drive torque wrench of the proper range should cover all of the basic maintenance need on a Busa including the axle nuts.

If I was you I would buy the tools necessary to do the work yourself and be money ahead in the long run.

I am just like you but trying to do things in small increments. If there is something that you should definitely do while it is all apart, I would do that. But for me right now I am doing just one or 2 small things at a time, put it back together, rinse, repeat. I do too much at a time and if I do something wrong, I get overwhelmed. A commander once told me, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...." I am just like you, I don't trust mechanics and they will probably be looking right at a service manual just like you, doing this for the first time. I only trust the army dudes to the left and right of me.

Back