Should I do it

Mason357

Registered
Ok I have a GZ250 that I'm gonna buy from my mom. It was my first bike. I have a friend that after I buy it and move back to where he is and he wants to buy it from me when I get there. The GZ is in bad shape so I'll have a lot of work to do to it. I do want a cruiser to go with the busa. Now I found a 98 Honda shadow VT700 for 125 guy just wants to get rid of it. It's about in the same shape is the GZ. So should I go with riding the GZ for now I'm fixing it anyway. Should I fix it for my friend's first bike and get and fix the Honda for me or just roll the GZ. With a cruiser I'm not worried about a lot of power anything will be slow compared to the busa. What do you guys think should I buy the shadow its only $125 for the 700 but needs love but so does the GZ.

I have found that it is often less money to get a motorcycle that is good running condition in the long run. However the 250 has sentimental value to you, grab it and fix it up how tyou you like, the 700, it might be best to leave it.

Depends on your level of wrenching skill...if you can buy it for that price and fix it up so it's rideable, you might be OK. There's few things worse than sitting in the middle of nowhere with a bike that broke down because you bought it for $125...sometimes you get what you pay for.

I'm a good mechanic I frame off restored my first car when I was 16. Both bikes need work I can handle both. I'm doing the GZ anyway. I was just asking should I get the VT700 to fix up as my cruiser over the 250. I don't mind doing the work. I'm on disability so I have plenty of time just not a lot of money. So I ask should I roll the GZ250 until my friend buys it which will be awhile or fix and roll the VT700. I do want a cruiser to go with the busa.

I don't think the GZ is a turd I put a lot of fun miles on it. Really for a cruiser the 250 had enough power for me. I'm just wondering if it would be best to fix and roll the GZ or fix and roll the bigger bike either bike will need work just wondering what would be best the GZ

Mason357 , sounds like your moneys pretty tight , so maybe go the cheapest route option for your limited money . I see you are familiar with project restores , so you are obviously blessed with patience and skill , so maybe even price up some things you know are needed , to give you an idea , before committing . I know Honda ain't the cheapest on parts over here in AU , could be worth the effort . Honestly , you want to guard yourself against some projects , they all start out with good intention , but can quickly become a black hole , a never ending money drain pit !! You can help your mate out by helping him find a good reliable cycle when he is ready , and as an obviously good mate as you are , you can help him work on anything he gets .
Now the turd thing is just one of my favorite slur , is all bro !! Now we all know the very best motorcycle in the world is the one you own at anytime , but I do persist in using that 'err hum' gem on occasion .
Toad

The bike I'd really like would be a Yamaha Virago 250 cause I had one and it was one of my favorite bikes. The one near me is a 98 and they want 2300 I paid 1500 for my 06.

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the VT700 if it's too much I can always just part it out probably get more for the parts than I pay for the bike. It's fun for me to work on stuff like that if I can fix it up I'll have a bike that I know I built from the ground up. It will be fun to rebuild the GZ250 too then my friend will know he has a good bike not the chance of buying someone else's problem bike. I already have most of the mods I want to do to the busa. I just think it'd be nice to have a cruiser to ride around sometimes.

Some pics it needs a bit of work but it was only $125

Resized_20180721_145808.jpeg

00P0P_bkSz1x9UKo3_600x450.jpg

Well the guy did a bobo move after we had a deal he texted me saying he sold it to someone else. But I found a 84 shadow vt700c and agreed to sell it to me for the same price. It is missing the carb needs a little more work I think it'll be a fun project in the end I'll have a nice cruiser to go with the busa. I'll do the GZ250 for my best friend so he can ride with me and another good friend can ride the shadow and me on the busa. Maybe we should start a mc and terrorize small towns on the weekends weather permitting lol. The pics are of the bike I'm getting.

00U0U_6bjTabmoD6s_600x450.jpg

00l0l_6XODDK6nwQ9_600x450.jpg

Hopefully the engine isn't locked up. He said the rear tire won't spin thinking brakes are seized if it was the engine it would spin in neutral. There's just something about having a bike you built from the ground up over one you bought. And my friend will know he has a bike that was done right. I've seen so many times someone buys a used bike that they don't know has major problems until it's too late.

Back