Should I buy a new gen over the older gen?

i bought a gen 1 just cause i still prefer gen1 looks, but i will admit, i'm jealous about the #'s the gen2's are putting down. they're fast.

but, weirdly, i pulled the trigger on a rcc stage 1, and i noticed the site says 250hp for gen 1, and 230hp for gen2. and gen2 kits are more expensive. so.. maybe i came out ahead after all??

I was faced with this decision about 1 month ago.
I rode a Gen 1 then Gen 2..
Then bought the Gen 2.
Night and day...:beerchug:

Had Gen I now got Gen II would never go back although I miss her cos she was rough and raw, but the Gen II is all that I wanted her to be

To add to the list-

The GenII has a beefed up charging system " stator-rotor-regulator" and a different part number for the starter assembly. I don't think the starter number is just superceded but i could be wrong.

GenII - DLC coating on fork tubes

Gen II revised cam chain tensioner mounting position on the head.

Many revisions or changes for at the time, relative small increase in MSRP. After rebates many last model Gen I's went for $9700.00 . 2009 Gen II as low as $9999.00

I doubt we'll see that for new old stock 2011's - if there is any come 2012. With only two color options Suzuki might not be planning to bring many in. Time will tell.

Good additions,

Maybe we need to make a WIKI page with all the changes.

The cooling system/radiator as well as the airbox has also been updated

How about the ergo's
Is it more comfortable?

Were you comfortable on your '01? If YES, then you'll be fine the saddle of the Gen II. Only way to know for sure is to ride one.

P.S. I also had an '01 and now have an '08 and feel ergonomics is essentially the same. When I was shopping around, choice was a no-brainer since the prices of used Gen II's are now in the $7500-$8500 range (lots of Gen I owners still selling their bikes in this bracket)

Last edited:
Yes I was comfortable on my 01. Jut felt a little sore on my wrists and felt I would be more comfortable if my feet were on slightly lower pegs.
However this time if I get the GenII I will look into some Heli bars and lower the rear 3/4 " and get some slightly lower footpegs and make it even better!
I will however miss the hard Givi top case and saddlebags on my current ride.
Maybe I could customize some hard saddlebags that would look good and get them to snap off and on when I need them for touring.

It's an easy answer.

If you buy a Gen I, you will always want a Gen II.

Now Now, I have a Gen 1 and have no desire to own a Gen II, However I have never ridden a Gen II so that may be the reason :whistle:

Really wish they would have left the tail section alone when they went to the Gen II

Is the Gen I engine a stronger engine, The reason I ask is I have heard if your going to build a Turbo you would be better off with a Gen I engine.

I would not do any engine mods for a while and just get a power commander and 2 brothers exhaust. I am also interested in a wider tire or extensions about 4-6 inches of the swing arm. I have to do some research on these things thou.
I am going with the Gen II.

Really wish they would have left the tail section alone when they went to the Gen II
It took a while to grow on me, but I like it now. I'm not positive, but I suspect they changed it to give the bike more of a bird of prey appearance as befitting the name.

I would not do any engine mods for a while and just get a power commander and 2 brothers exhaust. I am also interested in a wider tire or extensions about 4-6 inches of the swing arm. I have to do some research on these things thou.
I am going with the Gen II.

I have had 3 GENI Busas and now have a GENII(09).
I love it!! No 1 thing stands out except the power is definately more!!
It DOES ride smoother, has a nicer power curve thru the middle, and shifts better.

I don't seem to stop as well as I did on my GENI's tho. Not sure why, and I could be wrong.

May I suggest going with the ECU editor or BAZZAZ box for tuning, over the PC.
I have had experiences with PCs that weren't favorable..

Also(and I may hear shyt for this), but why 2 Brothers??
I haven't looked at them in years, and it's because they were JUNK years ago.
Have they improved?
Don't buy a $10,000 bike and cheapen it with a cheap pipe.
Just MY opinion, and it's only good for ME. :beerchug:

Thanks sleeperbusa for all that great first hand info.
I didn't realise that the 2 brothers exhaust was cheap. It is I just heard them on an 08 Busa and they were soooo throaty deep,like a growl that I liked them so much and they have this baffle cone you can put in or take out to fine tune the sound. I wish I could hear some other exhaust sounds somewhare other than youtube because many of the videos there were recorded poorly and you just can't tell what it really sounds like.

As i recall Two Brothers used a spiraled thru core in the past that gave a slight different exhaust note. They might still use that design. There's a zillion offerings out there though so whatever looks good to the eye and fits the budget.

Back