Should I buy a new gen over the older gen?

mikeman

Registered
Ready to get another Busa but in shopping and research mode now.
I like the look of the new gen busa and was wondering what are the advantages/disadvantages of spending the extra coin on a newer model are?
What year is best?
Any opinions appreciated.

Ready to get another Busa but in shopping and research mode now.
I like the look of the new gen busa and was wondering what are the advantages/disadvantages of spending the extra coin on a newer model are?
What year is best?
Any opinions appreciated.

faster

The Gen II is a very nice bike and you couldn't go wrong with getting one. I never had the Gen 1 to compare but if you search there will be tons of comparisons on here.

A small but crucial addition to the next gen was the gear shift indicator. I would hate to have to buy an aftermarket stick-on device to know what gear I'm in.

Extra 41cc. 1299cc vs 1340cc (2008 and newer)

41cc doesnt mean anything here put it this way I used to race a controlled 100cc perelli engine in 150cc open class and kick their a---- all day long. I mean what else did they do to the enginge as for internal parts?

the secondary injectors dont run all the time. they only kick in after a certain rpm/load.
the primary injectors are what the bike uses when cruising. they arent rated to flow as much fuel. it's kind of like having huge injectors when you want power, and having smaller injectors when you're not wot so you can save gas.

HERE is some info on the 2nd gen.

LINK
LINK

If you budget will allow it, I feel a 08-up is a better choice. I’m wanting to upgrade to a Gen II even though my bike make a bit more power.

Other than styling changes these are some of the differences I can think of.
Better injection system: Closed loop with an O2 sensor. Dual injectors allows for better part throttle and lower RPM response.
41 more CCs 1299 to 1340 by a longer stroke. (2mm)
More compression 11:1 to 12.5:1
More aggressive camshaft profiles
Slight changes in the head including intake port spacing for better flow.
Smaller rod pin size should be a bit lighter along with a lighter rod on the small end.
Tighter bearing clearance
Higher RPM
Ti Valves
Lighter Valve springs
Slight changes on the clutch (fibers, springs, drive pins)
Transmission changes (larger output shaft, some back cutting, and it shifts better)
Better Instrumentation with a shift light
Radial Calipers on the front.
Different sprocket ratios 17:40 to a 18:43.
Loss of mount for center stand on the Gen II
The ABC power switch
Better suspension set up and sprung a bit heavier.
Lighter wheels.
Overall lighter with the exception of the exhaust. Stock a Gen II is a tad heavier, but if you put a similar full exhaust (or slips-ons) on both, the Gen II will be a bit lighter. (Gen II slip-ons are heavy with the cats built in)

Mike,

No basic difference between the 08-up bikes. If you go with a Gen I bike, I’d suggest a 03-up
01 changed to an internal fuel pump is a plus
02 minor clutch changes
03 Starter (and related parts) change.
Nothing really wrong with the 99-02s but by 03 most of the potential problems were eliminated.

I could not tell any difference between the two. Maybe someone else that owns both and rides them back and forth will chime in. The GenII fairings are a bit wider and seemed to offer a bit better wind protection. Mirrors are a bit wider. Same mirrors, but the mounting point is a bit wider.

Back