Should I Be Worried???

Why change oil while its warm other then it drains faster? Personally I'd rather not deal with the hot headers that my hand is gonna be so close(touching) to. Hell I sweat enough here in Florida. :laugh: I always pop the plug out then go get a drink or something while its draining. A couple extra minutes for cold oil to drain isn't gonna bother me none. If I leave a little oil in the motor,it wont make a difference if bike if maintained often. The difference in amount of oil drained between a cold or warm motor is minute.

Tin foil and a little ether for me on clean up. :laugh:
Ether is best clean up there is, leaves no residue and dont eat paint, just make sure no sparks:laugh:

Last edited:
it wont hurt anything, but when i do that i will use brake cleaner to spray it off the pipes, the brake cleaner will vaporise and dissapear in about 2 seconds

Why change oil while its warm other then it drains faster? Personally I'd rather not deal with the hot headers that my hand is gonna be so close(touching) to. Hell I sweat enough here in Florida. :laugh: I always pop the plug out then go get a drink or something while its draining. A couple extra minutes for cold oil to drain isn't gonna bother me none. If I leave a little oil in the motor,it wont make a difference if bike if maintained often. The difference in amount of oil drained between a cold or warm motor is minute.

One of my step-dads was an old school mechanic and he told me that the particles in the oil will settle toward the bottom of the pan when the oil cools and as gravity sets in. Letting the engine warm will get those particles moving and warm oil flows faster than cold oil so you will get more of those particles out of your oil pan. Like I said though he was old school and this may not apply to modern oil/engines. Just my .02 :)

Ah the good ole "Oil Pan Magnets" days. Those were the days. Back when I use to Push my car to the store in the snow uphill both ways barefoot to buy oil.

I just use a little brake cleaner and spray down the pipes...it dries in a minute or two :beerchug:

make sure your old oil filter has the O-ring still on it and your not leaking oil because of a double O-ring. The original O-ring likes to stick to the engine block and separate from the filter during removal.

Yeah the first time I did mine I didn't think to check if the O-ring from the old filter was off. Needless to say I put it all back together and got on the highway. I got about 5 miles down the road when I noticed that the back tire felt very loose. Pulled over, then the oil light came on, then I shut her down. It was not fun taking the fairing off on the side of the road, then trying to get the filter off so that I could remove one of the rings. I had to get my wife to get some reg oil just to get me home, then I had to buy a new filter and all new oil again. Now I always make sure there is only one ring.

IN MY OPINION, AND YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT OPINIONS, THE PROCEDURE I USE WORKS WELL. I DRAIN THE OIL FIRST AFTER A RIDE WHEN THE OIL IS HOT, AND LEAVE IT DRAINING FOR HOURS UNTIL IT'S COOL ENOUGH TO START WORKING ON. I LIKE TO JUST LET IT DRAIN OVERNIGHT AND FINISH IT THE NEXT DAY IF I HAVE THE TIME. THE DRAIN PLUG IS SO EASY TO GET TO, IT ONLY TAKES A FEW MINS TO SLIDE THE PAN UNDER AND START DRAINING. :thumbsup:

letting ALL the oil out is a Bad thing by the way. What do you think Lubricates the Motor for the First 2-5 Seconds when the Bike is Re-started after you changed the oil ??

Change it while it's warm makes things faster but no better than cold. Oil will burn off the Pipes. Don't worry about it and Enjoy having the FASTEST Color :beerchug:

Back