Should I Be Worried???

bigc70

Registered
Ok guys here's the deal. I decided to change my oil on my '08 busa today. I went to the dealer and bought 4 quarts of 10w-40 synthetic amsoil. Using the powerpoint that one of our fellow riders put up, I got everything to go pretty smoothly....except that when i pulled the old filter out i spilled some of the old oil.:banghead: I cleaned it up the best that I could and put it all back together. Fired the bike up and it obviously didnt take very long to smell the spilled oil burning and see smoke coming up from where the oil was spilled. Is the busa going to be safe to ride while its burning off that spilled oil? And what else should i be doing so help it clear up faster?

ALSO

this may just be complete paranoia, but after I changed my oil, when I fired my bike up i think i noticed a very light tapping in the engine, and also it seems to get hotter faster (ran for maybe two minutes and the open area where the hoses are visible seemed to be much hotter than normal). I dont think i could have done anything while changing the oil that could have caused any harm. once again, i could just be being paranoid. any suggestions???

Oh and check your oil window. If its between full and empty when you stand the bike up straight, it is fine. Oh and make sure you screwed the filter back on and put in the plug.:laugh: Dont worry man, I was paranoid too after the first time I changed my oil...

Next time when you go to change the oil Put some plastic wrap around the exhaust pipes(cold) with some scotch tape. Makes clean up a breeze.

People do have a tenancy to pay more attention to things that they working on. Hear and see things they wouldn't normally pick up on. The tapping might of been due to the fact you drained all the oil out and it needed to be re pumped back up there so to speak. It's one of those "keep and eye on it" things. Was faring off? it shields sound.

AS far as it seeming hotter. Nope just you don't have the faring to shield the heat for you. It normally get pretty hot in there. Bike will go up a few Degrees after you shut it off before it starts to cool down again. (optional)If you plan on working on your bike and have it run a while while sitting in one place, throw a fan in front of it to where it blows threw the radiator.

I actually changed my oil today. My 4k(mi on odometer) oil change. Bike sounded different with the faring off. Felt some heat when I started her up and let her get to operating temp. Wasn't planning a ride today so Figured I'd warm her up and let her cool down and then check for leaks. Wasn't any. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps some.

In re: "Next time when you go to change the oil Put some plastic wrap around the exhaust pipes(cold) with some scotch tape. Makes clean up a breeze."

If you're going to cover the headers cover them with aluminum foil over warm pipes. Always change oil when its hot and let it drain drain drain. As for cleanup, you can try any cleaner for the oil but it will also have to burn off and may smoke a bit. If you know you have 4 qts in the motor and a tight filter, fire it up and ride!:thumbsup:

make sure your old oil filter has the O-ring still on it and your not leaking oil because of a double O-ring. The original O-ring likes to stick to the engine block and seperate from the filter during removal.

I put a rag under it. I still spill oil on the pipes. I just wipe it off. get some degrease spray cleaner or something. still smokes a little. and as stated already. I always hear strange noises after the change. I am always thinking i might have done something but its just the bike. Someone told me once just after I got the bike that the motor sounds like a washing machine on crack. and it does really.lol. still to this day 35k miles later it rattles and still gets my attention. ...but its fine.

Next time when you go to change the oil Put some plastic wrap around the exhaust pipes(cold) with some scotch tape. Makes clean up a breeze.

People do have a tenancy to pay more attention to things that they working on. Hear and see things they wouldn't normally pick up on. The tapping might of been due to the fact you drained all the oil out and it needed to be re pumped back up there so to speak. It's one of those "keep and eye on it" things. Was faring off? it shields sound.

AS far as it seeming hotter. Nope just you don't have the faring to shield the heat for you. It normally get pretty hot in there. Bike will go up a few Degrees after you shut it off before it starts to cool down again. (optional)If you plan on working on your bike and have it run a while while sitting in one place, throw a fan in front of it to where it blows threw the radiator.

I actually changed my oil today. My 4k(mi on odometer) oil change. Bike sounded different with the faring off. Felt some heat when I started her up and let her get to operating temp. Wasn't planning a ride today so Figured I'd warm her up and let her cool down and then check for leaks. Wasn't any. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps some.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going to go ahead and saddle up and ride today. But to answer you question the faring was on when i was "hearing" the tapping and feeling the extra heat. I did however make sure i tightened the hell outta the drain plug and the new filter, plus I starred at the ground for damn near a half hour (seriously) to make sure there were no new leaks, so i'm pretty sure i'm ok on that department. i moved her to a diff location in the garage so if it leaked overnight i should be able to tell. I guess i'll give her a shot. she'll only be a year old next week, so i'd be soooo pissed if something went wrong already :banghead: thanx again guys!

I did however make sure i tightened the hell outta the drain plug

DO NOT "tightened the hell out of" it!! TORQUE to the proper lb ft (16 ft. lb. on a Gen 1, check your manual for your Gen 2 torque)!

"Tighten the hell out of" is asking for a stripped drain plug and some major :cry:and :cursin:.

Don't go too crazy on that oil drain plug. It's only screwing into aluminum. You strip that out and you're going to have some fun repairing the oilpan.

Also 1/2 turn past hand-tight works for the filter.

In re: "Next time when you go to change the oil Put some plastic wrap around the exhaust pipes(cold) with some scotch tape. Makes clean up a breeze."

If you're going to cover the headers cover them with aluminum foil over warm pipes. Always change oil when its hot and let it drain drain drain. As for cleanup, you can try any cleaner for the oil but it will also have to burn off and may smoke a bit. If you know you have 4 qts in the motor and a tight filter, fire it up and ride!:thumbsup:

+1 yes everyone make note, I'm in agreement :laugh:

I just rode her to work and not only is she runnin just fine, but she's FLYIN!! (just had to deal with the burnt oil smell at the red lights - lol) - amazing what some fresh synthetic and lubing the chain can do :thumbsup:

Thx again for all the help/advice! :bowdown:

You will feel better that you did it yourself; every time I get mine back from the dealer from service they screw something up (this time they didn't get the bottom of the fairing back together right - last time they cracked it)....

I just changed my oil last weekend of course I got oil allover the pipes ,but I used brake cleaner and make sure that ya leave the oil drain pan under the bike so ya dont spill anthing on the ground. If ya have already run the engine after you changed the oil use the brake cleaner while the pipes are hot and this will help burn off any cleaner and oil residue. Check for any leaks put the fairing back on and enjoy the ride.

Man are the threads long on the oil filter flange... I always fill the new filter up with oil and install but on this bike by the time I have it snuged up to the block all the oill has spilled out of it... so I'm just precoating the filter.

and it smokes like a ***** for a while..... it's all good though!!

Be sure to lubricate the O ring on the new filter prior to installation. :thumbsup: +1 on overtightening the drain plug. You will also want to change the washer on the drain plug every other time you do the oil change, at least.

i got oil on my pipes too, i just let it run or ride out the oil.i didnt read everybodys reply but i noticed someone here placed foil on the pipes while changing oil-i havent tried that yet but seemed like a good way to avoid getting oil on the pipes. a cloth might do the trick too.

Hope this helps some.

:thumbsup:

Back