should charges be filed against David Gregory and NBC??

chrisjp

GM of Haya's in the Hills
Donating Member
Registered
Police investigating David Gregory for displaying illegal gun magazine on-air - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

come on folks chime in!!

Washington Metropolitan Police Department is investigating whether NBC’s David Gregory violated D.C. gun laws when he displayed what he described as a 30 round magazine as part of an interview during Sunday’s “Meet the Press.â€

“So here’s a magazine for ammunition that carries 30 bullets. Now isn’t it possible that if we got rid of these, if we replaced them and said well, you can only have a magazine that carries five bullets or ten bullets, isn’t it just possible that we could reduce the carnage in a situation like Newtown?†show moderator Gregory asked Wayne LaPierre, the executive vice president of the National Rifle Association.

Possessing a large capacity ammunition device, such as a magazine, is illegal in the District of Columbia if the device holds more than 10 rounds of ammunition. The code also specifies the large devices are illegal regardless of whether or not they're attached to a firearm. Gregory showed the magazine Sunday without a firearm attached.

NBC’s studios, from which “Meet the Press†is broadcast, are located within city limits. The network did not respond to CNN’s requests for comment.

In the wake of the school shooting in Newtown, gun control advocates have been pushing for a limit on high capacity magazines. Such a restriction is one of the items President Barack Obama mentioned last week when he announced an administration effort to curb violence.

“I don’t believe that’s going to make one difference,†LaPierre told Gregory during the show.

Several conservative commentators first raised the issue of whether Gregory had broken D.C. law by using the magazine.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...-violated-law/

this is what LaPierre should have said!! “I don’t believe that’s going to make one difference,†I mean, look, there already ARE illegal here , yet it didn't stop you from getting one". LaPierre told Gregory during the show.

Magazine is long gone.
Someone smart will come up with the story it had a ten Rnd block in it and was totally legal.
No evidence no real crime.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5dg_AcBeHgo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

An old one but I still laugh when I see it.

Funny! Don't see anyone talking about what a poor spokesman for the NRA Mr. LaPierre has become. He was literally foaming at the mouth during that interview. He stuck to his talking points and did not engage his brain one iota even if he had one. David Gregory was all over him and he looked like a kid being beat down on the schoolyard. In his televised briefing he was even worse. If the NRA is going to protect gun rights and compete with the liberal media machine, they need a better spokesperson. As much as I disagree with the total anti-gun stance I truly think the NRA and personal freedom will lose its A$$ in this one.

For the record I am for:
The second amendment, personal freedom, providing for our mentally ill, enforcing existing laws, closing the "Gun show loophole", training and certification to carry concealed or otherwise, common sense.

I am against:
Assault weapons ban, a registry of non-criminal, mentally ill people (where do you draw the line on that one?), public posession of clips over 10 rounds. I don't think clip limits would make any difference unless you outlaw them on public property and enforce that law. Even so the effect would be minimal but there will need to be some concession made by us gun owners. I would gladly shelve my 12 round clips and buy 10 or even 5 rounders to go to the range with.

This debate is shaping up to be just like our government. All or nothing never fixes problems it just postpones the solution.

I say lock him up! Im tired of journalists twisting stories for their own agendas and hiding behind the 1st amendment. I say lock him up just for a little pay back for irritating me…not because of his mag. That’s what the tard gets for living in D.C. The gun laws there are stupid strict, I used to live there so I know how crappy it is.

Magazine is long gone.
Someone smart will come up with the story it had a ten Rnd block in it and was totally legal.
No evidence no real crime.

I completely agree with you that the magazine is gone but can't his statement, "So here’s a magazine for ammunition that carries 30 bullets" equate to a confession?

I completely agree with you that the magazine is gone but can't his statement, "So here’s a magazine for ammunition that carries 30 bullets" equate to a confession?

Nope, he will use the DC 2 step and say “I misspoke; it was a magazine that had the potential to carry up to 30 rounds”

No proof if that mag disappeared.

I've posted about this already. The MPD is investigating, and there's a LOT of talk about it, so we'll see.

I hope they charge him so he'll be forced to admit that he didn't kill anybody with that 30 round mag and see how ridiculous the law he's so viciously and hipocritically wanting enforced acutally is.

Nope, he will use the DC 2 step and say “I misspoke; it was a magazine that had the potential to carry up to 30 rounds”

No proof if that mag disappeared.

Too late. The MPD reports that NBC ASKED PERMISSION to display the 30 rd mag; the MPD refused and NBC did it anyway....kinda daring them, aren't they?

I don't think that was his magazine, so he didn't posess it as the law requires. I don't think the law says it's illegal to pick up a magazine owned by another party? If he had said "this is a magazine I brought from home...", and he lives in DC then he would have confessed to a crime.

PS: I couldn't find it in google but I read a story about a guy who said he drove home last night drunk as a skunk and was arrested for DUI based on his confession. The guy got off as there was no proof of his blood alcohol level but had to hire a lawyer and all - was a good lesson.

David Gregory is a criminal. This article shows that his crime of brandishing a plastic box with a spring in it was premeditated. He should suffer the consequences of his actions. If he wants to brandish dangerous plastic boxes, he should do so outside of DC where the gun laws are less ridiculous and the crime rate is a lot lower.

Willie he had it in his hand. Either he or the person that gave it to him face the trouble.

Everybody needs to realize that NRA only has 4 million members. There are approx 160 million gun owners out there. NRA reps a very small part of total owners.

This could backfire on the President, there are a lot of registered democracts who are 2nd Amendment believers...

I don't think that was his magazine, so he didn't posess it as the law requires. I don't think the law says it's illegal to pick up a magazine owned by another party? If he had said "this is a magazine I brought from home...", and he lives in DC then he would have confessed to a crime.

PS: I couldn't find it in google but I read a story about a guy who said he drove home last night drunk as a skunk and was arrested for DUI based on his confession. The guy got off as there was no proof of his blood alcohol level but had to hire a lawyer and all - was a good lesson.

"Those arent my drugs, I was holding em for a friend" :laugh:

C'mon guys, dont be silly, the law doesnt apply to the rich and/famous. :whistle: If they do go after him, it'll be up to NBC to decide his fate. If they choose to throw that paddock of lawyers on this, he'll be good in the hood, if they want nothing to do with it, he's screwed. Im just glad that mag didnt kill him, I heard they can do that.

On a more serious note:

An official from the D.C. police told a member of the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives*that David Gregory COULD display a high capacity magazine on "Meet the Press" Sunday ... TMZ has learned.

Well-placed law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... a staffer from "Meet the Press" called ATF before the show aired to inquire about the legality of David holding the empty magazine during a segment on gun control.* We're told the ATF person contacted the D.C. police to find out if the District of Columbia -- the place where the show is broadcast -- had a law prohibiting such a display.*

Our sources say the D.C. police official informed ATF David could legally show the magazine, provided it was empty. *An ATF official then called the staffer from "Meet the Press" to inform them they could use the magazine.

This could backfire on the President, there are a lot of registered democracts who are 2nd Amendment believers...

The election is over. This president could give a rats a$$ about what you think of him or how you will react to anything he does. Elections have consequences. By the time this term is over the war on success may not be the only war declared on society as we know it? :dunno:

The law does not stipulate a " loaded" magazine as illegal. Leo or atf do NOT get to circumvent the law or say its "ok" as lobg as someone is pushing an agenda they approve of. Law is law

Lock him up. The law is the law. I demand my protection. That box could have blown up through my TV. He acted in a manner not responsible enough to handle a box like that. I think his cornbread aint done, not fit to handle anything like that. Next he will kill somebody to demonstrate what you are not suppose to do.....HELP! HELP!:rofl:

Back