Should be fun. What cheesy fix's have you done to your/car/truck/bike?

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
Sometimes we do things to keep a vehicle on the road that are, shall we say "less than ideal". Sometimes the lack of funds,the knowledge that comes with age,availabilty of parts,or perhaps just plain laziness or stoopidty.

There are some very smart folks on here and I'm sure some of the post's will contain some engineering marvels. :whistle:

Please don't just :google: up some pics of cars with the bumper duct-taped on. I think personal stories would be alot more fun.

Alot of folks on here know each other and it might be fun to discover that the now "Aero-Space Technical consultant" once used crazy glue to....

Rubb will go first. I had a 64 Dodge when I was about 16,I was so broke, "I din't have a pot to pi55 in,or a window to pitch it out of".

One day the wiper motor dies. Replace it, no-way. Tear out the radio(didn't work anyway) bolt 2 foot peice of metal to the wiper acuating arm,stick thru radio hole,bolt handle to the end and WALAH. Hand-drolically operated wipers. Whoever was riding shotgun had a very sore arm after long road-trips. hahahaha.

Hit me with some good one's.

RSD.

1970ish Allison Daytona VW Dunebuggy. Now if any of you have ever had a VW you know you need to carry all kinds of parts with you to fix something that "will" break when your as far away as you can get from anything. Yep, riding along a country road with my kids and the accelerator cable broke, no problem I had the fix with me. Heavy duty weed eater string rang to the back and hand operated baby! That was tricky to get the coordination down with a clutch too, but it was fun and the kids thought it was hilarious.

Duct tape on intake hose From filter housing to throttle body of Mazda 6 :dunno: Car would not crank with leak from rotted hose

1970ish allison daytona vw dunebuggy. Now if any of you have ever had a vw you know you need to carry all kinds of parts with you to fix something that "will" break when your as far away as you can get from anything. Yep, riding along a country road with my kids and the accelerator cable broke, no problem i had the fix with me. Heavy duty weed eater string rang to the back and hand operated baby! That was tricky to get the coordination down with a clutch too, but it was fun and the kids thought it was hilarious.

awesome.:bowdown:

rsd.

I had a dodge van (Tradesman 100) one time that I pop riveted so many patches on it, I joked one more & I would need to get it licensed as an aeroplane. Gawd I had fun with that thing....

Duct tape on intake hose From filter housing to throttle body of Mazda 6 :dunno: Car would not crank with leak from rotted hose

You can do anything with duck tape.:laugh:

RSD.

du1.jpg

du3.jpg

du4.jpg

du5.jpg

du8.jpg

The duct tape had me thinking of the red green show...

Red Green Show Red customizes a car - YouTube[/url]

Green's Duct tape Virtuoso - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Decades ago, my 68' Mustang...not too shabby of a car. I was coming back from Coeur'd'alene to Spokane late one night when my fuel pump gave up. I did not want to leave my baby out there all cold and alongside the highway so I put on my thinking cap and came up with a fix to get me home. The old mustangs had a footpump windshield washer, move a hose here and a hose there and fired it up and drove home. I had to keep pumping with my left foot while I drove and it got very tiring after about 15 miles but it got me home and down to the parts store and back the next day with a new fuel pump.

Same mustang, different time. I was racing a camaro up a pass and was staying pretty even when he dropped off and pulled over. He broke his throttle cable. All I could find was some 16ga wire leftover from a wiring job. I ran that through his cable housing and tied a knot on each end and his racing was over but it got him where he needed to go.

Back