Shorty tips ?

Jota69

Registered
I have a 2006 with yoshi rs3 slipons, small airbox mod, bmc air filter and PC3. I want to replace the yoshi slipons with some baffled shorty tips like the hedman tips or this from ebay eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
After searching here and reading lots of post on the subject I'm still confused because some people say there will be a gain on power but some people say there will be a loss of power, but there where no dyno numbers to prove the gain or the loss of power. My question is, will I loose or gain some power replacing the yoshi slipons with some shorty tips? Keep in mind I still have the factory header and I will be tuning the PC3 for the shorty tips. Also, has anyone done an actual comparison on the dyno for the same bike before and after the shorty tips?

You might gain a loss, but you'll def not pick up anything. The factory header is a major restriction, so regardless of what you do after it, you won't see a big change. Save your pennies and buy a full system and do the research if performance is what you're after.

If you have the PC3 and have the bike tuned, then you will not lose any power.

The only problem you might run into is the kickstand. There are kits you can buy and various mods but I took the easy route.
I just cut the stand 3/4 of the way, repositioned to my likeing and full rewelded it.
Busa Exhaust 008.JPG

Busa Exhaust 008.JPG

I would take your pipes off and ride like that for a couple miles. Those pipes are ridiculously loud. The one's I got said they were baffled but they are basically just an open pipe.

Around town the ones I had sounded nice, more deep and throaty. but at highway speeds it was like I had a passenger jamming ice picks in my ears. :whistle:

Just my experience. Now the Alienhead, only 1 tip, it's short,it's good and loud and it makes her just sound plain azz pizzed off. :laugh:

i have a set of shorty tips that I took off of mine its pretty loud but riding its not that big of a deal ill let these tips go cheap if you want them

I run my 4 into 1 into a shorty baffled tip and its loud.Lost a little on the bottom but the low speed bucking these are known for is gone.It screams on top.Sounds like a brocks just not as good.

I just spent $50 for a pair of hedman tips, I will have the bike tuned after installing the tips and I will post the results. Do you guys think I should just keep my yoshi slipons?

Keep the yoshi just in case you decide the shorties are not for you.
And you might have a clearance issue with the kickstand, not sure about the Hedman's.

i have them on mine and everyone that has ridden with me said that they sound great. just ask dadofthree, big e......love them, i like them loud though, plus they have saved my butt quite a few time driving here in Virginia.

14.jpg

I'm keeping my yoshi slipons, I might have 2 dyno tunes done and I will stay with the one that gives me the best performance. I'm running the yoshi with the PC3 map from their website and was never dyno tuned. I might have the tuner do a map for the yoshis and a map for the shortys and i will just keep the exhaust that gets the best numbers.

i have them on mine and everyone that has ridden with me said that they sound great. just ask dadofthree, big e......love them, i like them loud though, plus they have saved my butt quite a few time driving here in Virginia.
Do you have the Hedmans? Did you have any issues with the kickstand?

Dad of three is right(post#2), your gains will be small even with a dyno tune. The header is what allows the majority of power gain from any exhaust.
Expect 1 or 2 hp from a dynotune after your baseline. Go with ANY full system and you'll gain roughly around 10 hp. That's a good ballpark number too, as individual bike, exhaust, and tuner all make differences.
I'de love to see dyno numbers on the tips vs. slipons, but a full system is the way to go for a little more hp and performance.
Bottom line, if YOU are happy with the looks and sound of your exhaust, that's all that matters. A few extra hp is only important on a time slip for any kind of racing.:beerchug:

Back