Shorty stockers ?

killerrudy

Registered
I had looked around with out such avail. I was looking for some info on Gen II shorty stock cans. Pics? How do they sound? Any threads on the mod? Is it worth it really? Thanks

\

Thanks a lot Twotonevert. I had tried to use the search function, but failed :poke:

Last edited:
Is there an inside joke I am not aware of. You guys are being awful harsh.

Your welcome Rudy.

Well Skaz is just a tool who is sitting next to me at work right now being a waste of air. RusselJ is just being an a$$ :whistle:

There used to be a Gen2 cut down, how to, step by step, on here last year. Then it said it was photo bucket, then those were removed too. I was just looking last week, and finally gave up. I wanna cut mine until I find a good used exhaust.
I also gutted my convertor a couple months ago. It's great! I'm not claiming any power gains, but now it doesn't cook my feet!

Sixpack577 did you have any issues gutting your cats? Not with physicly gutting them, but side effects? Just curious.

I don't know of any stock shorty's. There are a few Shorty's like Voodoo, Roaring Toy's Megaphone, Fatty Pipes, etc. PM me, I can help direct you to more.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm running standard Gen II pipes on my Gen I and considered cutting them shorter but stopped when I relized that the whole muffler is actualy slightly conical so your rear chrome cap is not going to fit as well when you are done because it's too big. Looking at the pictures it doesn't look as bad as I thought.
Kind of a mute point now as I picked up a coincidentaly color matched set of microns off eBay for a great price a few days ago, should be here soon!

newtank1.JPG
microns.jpg

Last edited:
i did mine and it wasn't too bad for the most part. i had help from a member here and he walked me through it. off the top of my head these are roughly the steps i followed from a british member who created a diy for it.
1. cut the welds on the 3 allen bolts on the end cap
2. remove end cap and mid pipe
3. use a putty knife to separate the black sleeve from the fiberglass wrap
4. i measured 9 1/4" from inlet to outlet and cut the outlet portion off
5. cut out the inner barrier wall
6. drill 4 (8 total) 1/4" holes on the outlet and inlet to send 4 1/4" rods all the way through the can and the outlet piece you just cut.
7. now the rods are sent through, secured on the inlet with nuts and blue loctite, and nuts on the cut outlet piece with blue loctite.
8. button up her and your done. the weight difference and sound is remarkable over stock.
there is also the rivet type if you prefer that but i like the cleaner look myself. good luck! :beerchug:

20090818_13.jpg

20090818_12.jpg

20090926_68.jpg

I cut mine down about 6 months ago.

Its a three section pipe. i cut mine down to two. (im talking internal sections)

I chose this route as i wanted the structural stiffness of the stock cans and also didnt want race can loud.

It wasnt too bad a job to do, i managed to buy some stock cans off ebay so still have my originals just in case.

After i had finished, i decided it was still too quiet. cutting it to two sections really didnt make that much difference to the noise. What i then did was drill a hole in the centre of the partition wall between the first and second section of the pipe so some of the gas has a short cut route through to the second section.

I opened the hole out a little at a time, eventually taking it to around 22mm.

it just gave it a little extra noise.

now they sound just fine. still fairly quiet but have a nice deep roar to them, especially when on the gas hard.

One thing i have noticed though is a drop in economy, i now get much less to a tank full. so much so that im considering my options, either PCV or ECU flash. Just have a little concern that its not fuelling quite right now.

Andy.

Back