Shortening My Cans

kucuy

Registered
I currently have Yoshi RS3 slip ons, I am not very happy with the sound of them. I don't care for "set of car alamrs" or "wake up the neighbors" loud but I would like for drivers to hear me coming, especially approaching intersections and such...

after looking at mine, I don't see any screws or anything to where I can just pull the baffles out. What kind of sound change would I get if I was to shorten them?

Would that affect anything else? I have a PC3, would I have to re-tune? Thanks in advance

I currently have Yoshi RS3 slip ons,
I am not very happy with the sound of them.

I don't care for "set of car alamrs" or "wake up the neighbors" loud but I would like for drivers to hear me coming,
especially approaching intersections and such . . .

After looking at mine,
I don't see any screws or anything to where I can just pull the baffles out.

What kind of sound change would I get if I was to shorten them?

Would that affect anything else?

I have a PC3, would I have to re-tune?

Thanks in advance.

Just remove them first ~ and see how it sounds . . .

Shorten them. It is not hard. I did a pair of pipes a number of years ago. Dont forget when you shorten remove some of the packing as well.

thanks guys. Im also thinking about running the pipes up so the cans are directly parallel to the tail and closer to the tail...

IMG-1406442847-V.jpeg
My shortened RS - 3 . Love the deep sound and not ear bleading but perfect to get attention from cagers .removed 1/4 of packing only

Last edited:
View attachment 402239 My shortened RS - 3 . Love the deep sound and not ear bleading but perfect to get attention from cagers .removed 1/4 of packing only
Nice GK1, they look great. You cut off from the back, correct? And you said 1/4, should I just remove as much packing as I cut off (can)? Thank you

Yes , cut from the back and remove 1/4 as you will find easier to reasemble....and sound will be perfect....take out too much gives a tinny sound. They will get louder and deaper in sound once warmed up . Also make sure you get the right rivots..

Yes , cut from the back and remove 1/4 as you will find easier to reasemble....and sound will be perfect....take out too much gives a tinny sound. They will get louder and deaper in sound once warmed up . Also make sure you get the right rivots..
Nice, I'm probably going to get that done next weekend... thanks for the pointers

Great idea.

I just shortened my slipons by removing 8" from each can.
They look like little cute angry sounding alumnum coffee cans lol. About 9" long now with the tip.
I can now hear my exhaust on the highway and cagers can hear me from further away too.

I used an air disk cutter going around it 360.
It cut everything inside clean in one shot.
Inside the can theres a metal baffle wrapped in steel wool and fiberglass.

Predrilled it for new rivets And thats it.
Absolutely no welding! Factory never had welding either. It was always bolted and riveted together.

gotcha, that's the difference in mine, I think the baffle in mine is welded on the ends. ill just have to get my hands dirty with it and figure something out lol

Back