Shortened Swingarm

snbusa

Registered
Anyone have any thoughts about this to get through the corners a little better. I saw a Speed channel spot on a guy who put together a GP Busa and you can see it looks a little off but it did the job apparantly.

I really hope ur not planning on doing that. a busa is not a corner carver. if u wanna carve corners sell it and buy a 600.

Why not get the raising links and a 55 series tire to start? If your not even at the edge of the tire already I wouldn't waste the money tho. Just get better at riding. There's plenty of people that do track the Busa without a shortened swingarm.

Also get a larger rear sprocket that'll bring the tire in a little too.

You have to see the video of this guy with the GP Busa. If everyone lengthens them why can't I shorten one? I'm really not doing anything just yet. Looking for some answers right now. By the way, I carve corners almost every day.

I'm definitly going with a 46 and i'm very close to the edge. Not all the way yet but getting there.

No problem. Not doubting your skills or anything just a general comment.

I would probably also try getting lighter wheels (r1 swap seems to be cheapest). For most people, they complain about the weight of the Busa. So anything to help get the bike to flick back and forth should also help you out.

Thanks for the heads up on the wheels. I'm on the cusp of doing something about that and yours may be the best idea.

Buying a 600 or 1000 arm would be cheaper and you'd still have your stock arm.

I've been looking for the same thing. I do canyons and twisties a few times a week and my bike handles perfectly with a 55, +1 links and dialed in suspension. I've been tossing the thought around and would love to see something before I commit to this project. Btw no chicken strips. Lol

You don't need to shorten your wheelbase to "carve canyons" on a busa. Look up that youtube clip of that guy on a goldwing carving the chit out of the Dragon to prove my point. The soupy's +1 links, get your suspension redone and resprung to your weight (Race Tech) and throww on a 55 rear tire. If you can't do what you want to on the busa with those mods you might wanna think about trading it in for a liter bike. Guys have chopped swingarms before or swapped out 600 swingarms and I heard the horror stories that ensued...... Scraping hard parts and jury rigged linkages giving out at excessive speeds and turns. Guys that extend their busas are doing it to either look cool putting around town or they are hammering it in a straight line @ the drag strip so to compare length and shortening is not a good example of why you should or want to do it :whistle:

Sounds great guys. I'm going to keep on my program and go with the 46T, 55 rear tire, and keep my appointment with California Superbike School. There's even a chance I'll meet the K man himself. Ya gotta love em. He's probably done more to advance the sport of motorcycle road racing than just about anyone.

On my gen 1 I removed a a link from the chain. This only works with stock gearing (17/40) as a larger sprocket will need more chain length. The axle is almost all the way forward and the wheelbase is shortened by 5/8 of an inch.

cheers
ken

remove a link.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts about this to get through the corners a little better. I saw a Speed channel spot on a guy who put together a GP Busa and you can see it looks a little off but it did the job apparantly.

Go for a GSXR1000 swingarm. The GSXR600 swing arm isn't braced and I was told it was probably dangerous with the torque of a Busa...

...oh, and ignore those that tell you otherwise. If you love the Busa, ride the Busa. Probably much like me, you're not out there to win races. You're having fun, and to me, that's what matters. Besides, coming out of a corner on a 600 is boring after you've done it on a Busa!

This accident was a direct result of a GSX-R 600 swing arm on a Busa .

You drag hard parts before there time.

Crash Rt2 - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Go for a GSXR1000 swingarm. The GSXR600 swing arm isn't braced and I was told it was probably dangerous with the torque of a Busa...

...oh, and ignore those that tell you otherwise. If you love the Busa, ride the Busa. Probably much like me, you're not out there to win races. You're having fun, and to me, that's what matters. Besides, coming out of a corner on a 600 is boring after you've done it on a Busa!

an unbraced arm isnt an issue. the 600 arms are shorter than the 1k arms though.

This accident was a direct result of a GSX-R 600 swing arm on a Busa .

You drag hard parts before there time.

Crash Rt2 - YouTube[/url]

how would a shorter swingarm at stock ride height or taller drag hard parts any faster?

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep it simple.

Just upgrade the suspension, brakes, tires and appropriate gearing. All this wheel give more confidence as a bonus. The rest is YOU! In the end, on most tracks the Busa just can't do it no matter how good you are. On the mountains there is good chance you will be one of the best but limitations will always be there.

When you start scraping most of your plastics then start raising it up. When you scrape the plastics after raising it and perhaps have a 55 tire as well, then you my friend are a pretty damn good rider and are on the limits of the bike and/or tires.

Back