Short legs and stance

Where's that old parking lot near knee dragging video on your gen2?
That's some slow speed sharp turns that really shows what the bike can do, as well as how good it balances.
I think that video is confidence inspiring for someone who may be struggling,
I'm 5'10" with a 32-33" inseam.
When I ride my friend's Honda Africa Twin...I can tip-toe one side, but I usually slide my ass off the side and get one foot down(he's 6'2"...and purposely didn't tell me that the seat has 2 seat height settings from the factory, lol, and the lower fits me much better).
My Tiger has two setting also . Its currently in LOW @ 34.5" here is video Six

Similar work but on the Tiger 1200XCX

I bought a 2018 Hayabusa and LOVE it but when I stop at a light I am freaking out that the bike is going to fall over to one side or the other. Does anyone have this issue? I am not finding anything in the threads listed. I figured I could find someone that makes custom seats to lower my stance by 1.5 to 2 inches? Please any suggestions
I bought a 2018 Hayabusa and LOVE it but when I stop at a light I am freaking out that the bike is going to fall over to one side or the other. Does anyone have this issue? I am not finding anything in the threads listed. I figured I could find someone that makes custom seats to lower my stance by 1.5 to 2 inches? Please any suggestions
First lower the back at least 2+ inches, Then loosen up the back spring tension. If the stock fits your arse you will be okay. The stock seat is like sitting on a 2x12. If you want a nice seat call Bill Mayer saddles 805 644 7216. He made mine and is in Ventura ca. Also you have to adjust the rebound and compression front and rear. loosen it up.

Oh is everybody the same, I am 6' plus 225.

20151224_131155_HDR (1).jpg

Oh is everybody the same, I am 6' plus 225.

View attachment 1645217

Yep
in terms of handling it is
Your bike Cannot handle as well as it sits vs if it was at stock ride heigth.
Not my opinion, just the way it is.
Now is it more comfortable for You?
Apparently so, and I would have to agree, having sat on lowered Busas, and if you're comfortable, that's fine, it just limits it.
The OP didn't want to lower it if it upset the handling.
There may be suggested suspension settings in the owners manual, but they are generic, that's why 'sag' is set, to the individual rider's weight, which is also your problem.
At 225lbs(especially if that doesn't include gear) you are too heavy for factory fork springs.
The front suspension effects the rear, and vice versa.
You have your suspension set to where you are comfortable, again fine, enjoy your ride.
However, if you had fork springs rated for your weight(with any gear) and someone to set the sag for You, at stock heigth, you would be amazed at the difference, as you would feel and have much more and better control.

Yep
Apparently so, and I would have to agree, having sat on lowered Busas, and if you're comfortable, that's fine, it just limits it.
There may be suggested suspension settings in the owners manual, but they are generic, that's why 'sag' is set, to the individual rider's weight, which is also your problem.
At 225lbs(especially if that doesn't include gear) you are too heavy for factory fork springs.
You have your suspension set to where you are comfortable, again fine, enjoy your ride.
However, if you had fork springs rated for your weight(with any gear) and someone to set the sag for You, at stock heigth, you would be amazed at the difference, as you would feel and have much more and better control.
Yes i have had my suspension done at Traxxion dynamics several years ago. Its fine now. But some people do not want to spend the money. So the next best thing is adjustment. Goodbuy.

Oh this will blow your dress up and give you something to think about, I run a 140x75x17 front tire. You boys should come to sf bay area where the roads are rough twisty and you can man handle your bikes. LOL

A too-tall bike is a real danger. A lower seat may help, but honestly you may really, really want to have a hard think about selling the bike.
I endured a high seat tippy-toe adventure everytime I rode my BMW k1200GT. Had two parking lot gravel spills - and a final tip over that convinced me to sell - when I stopped on the two lane Skyline highway in Virginia (a $1500 paint & $700 helmet replacement) and put my foot in a depression.
My Hayabusa isn't as bad, but is a bit scary on hills and slants, especially when combined with the heft. I lowered my seat and inch or so, which helped. Don't have this issue on my race bikes because I only stop in the pits - but have tipped there too.
This is a serious issue. Thanks for posting since many of us short in-seamed riders (28-inch here) feel like we're the only ones with the issue. Good luck.

Falling over still sucks...
It's even better when you ride a dirtbike with lace up boots...and the front sprocket decides to eat those laces, pull your boot tight against it, and you then somehow manage to fall over on that side, and have to cut the bootlace with your pocket knife to get your foot off the bike.....so I've heard

Thank you all for your insightful suggestions. At this point first thing I will try is to just redo my seat. I took it totally off and used canvas to make something to cover the battery and it seem to work fine. I will have a custom seat made and go from there. Man I love this bike.

Thank you all for your insightful suggestions. At this point first thing I will try is to just redo my seat. I took it totally off and used canvas to make something to cover the battery and it seem to work fine. I will have a custom seat made and go from there. Man I love this bike.
There are a lot of mods for short riders (most are designed for drag racing, but same overall effect) ; Lowering links, lower profile tires, lowered forks, cut down seats etc. Best off just searching this forum for some of these.

Yep
Yes and there is the horse power and the gear ratio 18/40.

The best video I've seen on living with a tall and heavy bike is this:

I wish I heard of the cowboy mount and dismount before. So much more convenient and I wouldn't have looked so silly trying to lift my leg over the jam-packed tailbag.

It is also worth checking out the guy's gen 3 Busa review. Title: "the velvet hammer".

Back