Short legs and stance

Tmokuska

Registered
I bought a 2018 Hayabusa and LOVE it but when I stop at a light I am freaking out that the bike is going to fall over to one side or the other. Does anyone have this issue? I am not finding anything in the threads listed. I figured I could find someone that makes custom seats to lower my stance by 1.5 to 2 inches? Please any suggestions

I bought a 2018 Hayabusa and LOVE it but when I stop at a light I am freaking out that the bike is going to fall over to one side or the other. Does anyone have this issue? I am not finding anything in the threads listed. I figured I could find someone that makes custom seats to lower my stance by 1.5 to 2 inches? Please any suggestions
I'm probably the shortest male member on the forum @ 5' 1" . you do not need to lower the bike or seat . Get some confidence , and practice . I added a RDL seat that made and additional 1" taller . Here I am heading out on my DR650 ;)
20170713_203612_zpsvi23bv58.jpg
Joseph on dr trip.jpg

Just make darned sure you don't stop over a pothole or where the pavement is severely graded. Could you practice scooting your arse over the side to touch your foot if it doesn't reach? Man, that sounds spooky. High boots might help. I'd look into lowering that baby. Carving away almost all the foam in the seat might help but the busa seat already is kind of thin. I'm tall but my legs are not so I know how scary it is to find yourself with uneven footing at a stop.

Just make darned sure you don't stop over a pothole or where the pavement is severely graded. Could you practice scooting your arse over the side to touch your foot if it doesn't reach? Man, that sounds spooky. High boots might help. I'd look into lowering that baby. Carving away almost all the foam in the seat might help but the busa seat already is kind of thin. I'm tall but my legs are not so I know how scary it is to find yourself with uneven footing at a stop.
Or even pea gravel or sand at a stop....

First of all welcome...

Sounds like it would serve you well to lower the beast and cut down the seat to get your feet on the ground..
I will be calling around for someone in San Antonio who can redo the seat or if I can find another seat made for this bike I will buy that for sure. I have thought about lowering it but don't want to mess with the bike performance. I don't know enough yet. If lowering it will not effect the peformance I may try that as well. Thank you for replying. I look forward to seeing you all out on the road.

Great advice and I do that now. I had a Honda Sabre 1300 which was the perfect height for me. I bought this on site unseen. It was super clean, taken care and first time I road it I knew it was a good buy with the only problem of not being able to touch more than my toes.

I'm probably the shortest male member on the forum @ 5' 1" . you do not need to lower the bike or seat . Get some confidence , and practice . I added a RDL seat that made and additional 1" taller . Here I am heading out on my DR650 ;) View attachment 1645141View attachment 1645143
I bought this bike a few days ago and it been raining for two days and very cold. I will go to a parking lot and practice stopping and balancing the bike but I have been riding for a long time and first bike I have had where I am fearful of stopping. Thanks for the advice. Be safe

What do you weigh? Have you set suspension up yet ? This can totally change a bike . Sag is required, and I'd bet it's set stiff
What is sag and how can I check it. I will research it and check the bike. Hope its something that simple. I am right at 200pds. 5'.7" but with short legs! LOL When I am on the bike and hauling....I fit just right. Only when I stop there is a problem.

My guess is about the time you're ready to order the seat, you'll be used to the OEM seat.
5'8 here ... and shrinking with age
Could be but I want to ride in confidence that when I stop I will be stable. Almost dropped it twice when I rode home from the dealership and both times were when I was stopping at lights. I'm serious....tip toe only and as someone else suggested I scooted off to the side of the bike to be flat footed but that is not ideal. Thanks for your comments.

Could be but I want to ride in confidence that when I stop I will be stable. Almost dropped it twice when I rode home from the dealership and both times were when I was stopping at lights. I'm serious....tip toe only and as someone else suggested I scooted off to the side of the bike to be flat footed but that is not ideal. Thanks for your comments.
This is Ideal , and how most average sized people ride big adventure bikes , and dirt bikes that typically have 35 inch or better seat heights . My Tiger 1200 XCX with the RDL is nearly 36" . You can do it just fine with practice . Buy you a good pair of boots that have a 1" heal , and half inch tread at toe area . Tiger out of crate with near flat tires .
Look how I manage KTM off to side . The side stand was not touching ground . You can see my Right tennis shoe touching .

20201024_155104.jpg
Beach on DR with Rick.jpg
Messaging1544373035459.jpg
Messaging1544373044749.jpg

This is Ideal , and how most average sized people ride big adventure bikes , and dirt bikes that typically have 35 inch or better seat heights . My Tiger 1200 XCX with the RDL is nearly 36" . You can do it just fine with practice . Buy you a good pair of boots that have a 1" heal , and half inch tread at toe area . Tiger out of crate with near flat tires .
Look how I manage KTM off to side . The side stand was not touching ground . You can see my Right tennis shoe touching .

View attachment 1645157View attachment 1645158View attachment 1645159View attachment 1645160
Nice cage!!

I was in a similar situation at the beginning of this year. Im 5' 8" with short legs. When I first bought the busa, I wanted to lower it to feel more comfortable but didn't do it because I did not want to alter the geometry of the bike. The first thing i did was contact Lee at New Image Seats and had him cut down my seat. I shipped him the seat and it was sent back to me within two weeks. The next thing i did was get some boots with a taller sole. TCX Hero WP boots have helped put my feet solid on the ground. Not sure about your fitness level, but I had to strengthen my legs a bit to confidently maneuver the bike so that is something else that can be done to help.

Just fight the Goliath like David did , and overcome to be King of your machine.

FYI I'm standing on my bad / shortest leg .

View attachment 1645197

Where's that old parking lot near knee dragging video on your gen2?
That's some slow speed sharp turns that really shows what the bike can do, as well as how good it balances.
I think that video is confidence inspiring for someone who may be struggling,
I'm 5'10" with a 32-33" inseam.
When I ride my friend's Honda Africa Twin...I can tip-toe one side, but I usually slide my ass off the side and get one foot down(he's 6'2"...and purposely didn't tell me that the seat has 2 seat height settings from the factory, lol, and the lower fits me much better).

Back