Shorai Battery tech video of what not to do .

c10

Registered
Not very often do I screw up something , but sure did last night . So made this youtube video of what happened .
Hope this keeps someone from cooking their battery . I guess my times of recharging the batteries in our bikes was luck they did not pop like this one.

Balancing chargers are really popular in the RC world. I had to buy one when I bought Lipo batteries for my old RC truck. They are pretty cheap on amazon.

Reactions: c10
Not very often do I screw up something , but sure did last night . So made this youtube video of what happened .
Hope this keeps someone from cooking their battery . I guess my times of recharging the batteries in our bikes was luck they did not pop like this one.

Hi. What AMP rate did you charge at? I use 2AMP.

My first shorai was dead fairly quickly, after I let the bike sit for a few weeks. I tried my tender Jr., because it was down to 4v or so, While I read info on shorai’s website and after some reading decided to go in the garage and stop what I was doing. I gave them a call and nicely explained my disappointment of having issues with a new expensive battery. The first question the sweet girl on the phone asked me was about the electrical add-ons I had. I told her I had an alarm system and she quickly explained that these batteries have more cranking amps than a lead acid, but they can’t sit as long with a small load. I asked about options and she said I could send it to see if they could bring it back to life or just send it back and they’ll replace it for me and she could give me a discount on their charger. I went with latest and now plug it in if I know the bike will sit for more than a couple of days. Your video is great and after seeing that, I’m glad I didn’t continue to try charging mine.

First Shorai I bought was for my last GSXR1100 , and didn't buy the charger at that time . When I got a Shorai for the Busa , I knew I was going to continue using this companies battery , so got the Shorai tender / charger same time , and it is a great bit of kit . The Shorai battery is lightweight at around 1.1kg ( around 2.5kg less than stock Yuasa ) , body is made of carbon fiber composite . I bought mine in 2014 + charger and bike sits mostly through winter each year , and no problems with this setup .

I had a Shorai purchased right after they came to market that died under warranty with normal use. They next day shipped me a replacement with return label. Fast forward a lot of years and the replacement battery is working well in my little buddy's Chinese 4-wheeler because I have outgrown that battery and a few others. I've never had a lithium-specific charger until this year for my new bike which runs 24v starting so I have to charge it a couple times a month. I've discharged lithium batteries a few times and just use the regular charger carefully, just getting the voltage high enough to start the bike. It doesn't take long, maybe 20 minutes. Today I would use the big charger to get some initial charge so the lithium charger will recognize the battery, then finish with the lithium charger.

I had a Shorai purchased right after they came to market that died under warranty with normal use. They next day shipped me a replacement with return label. Fast forward a lot of years and the replacement battery is working well in my little buddy's Chinese 4-wheeler because I have outgrown that battery and a few others. I've never had a lithium-specific charger until this year for my new bike which runs 24v starting so I have to charge it a couple times a month. I've discharged lithium batteries a few times and just use the regular charger carefully, just getting the voltage high enough to start the bike. It doesn't take long, maybe 20 minutes. Today I would use the big charger to get some initial charge so the lithium charger will recognize the battery, then finish with the lithium charger.
Have you seen some of @POWERHOUSE posts about the badass battery they offer for big motors?

What my customer sent me last night.
Derek's shed references is a arsonist set fire to a storge facility burning down millions of dollars of rv vehicles, and Derek lost truck / drag racing trailer. Dennis store's the KTM with him.

Excellent YouTube video. Great articulate tutorial that Shorai owners worldwide can use. I'll pay for battery. Not anyones fault. Nobody knew. Thank gawd Derek's shed didn't burn down again. Oh my..

Have you seen some of @POWERHOUSE posts about the badass battery they offer for big motors?
Yep. I promise you 24V starts better. During my build I used a 800 cca car battery and it doesn't turn over the motor like 24V. Remember, V=IR so I=V/R. Resistance doesn't change, more voltage leads to more current. I do need to charge the starter battery every so often, but still not that often. They make devices to charge both batteries from the bike but that is more hassle than I need.

Back