Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Forget it, still to pricey.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

runeight

why ask why
Donating Member
Registered
I have been shopping for a new Laptop. This is just no fun after a while. I get confused. :laugh:

There have been a couple of great deals on Black Friday but I wasn't looking then. I do know one thing. Spend the extra on Video Cards, Processors, 8 cell batteries and Ram. I also need to verify if a discount is available from my Employer.

First requirement is a Wide screen no less than 17 inches. HP has a new one with 18.5 screen. :thumbsup: Expensive.

Best Buy had this for $650.00 which I thought was pretty sweet. The problem with this one however, is the keyboard. Same color as the case which might be real hard to see. I'm watching for a price reduction.

HP - Pavilion Laptop with AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-70 - Bronze/Chrome - dv7-1135nr

What would you do? Wait until after Christmas to buy?

r8

id like to tell santa i could use one of them myself this year lol..that thing looks real nice

IME Black Friday specials on laptops are usually low buck units to start with and usually on their last leg of production... so cheap but out of date is the norm...

I have a DV8000 w/twin 120G drives I have had for about 3 years now and it keeps plugging away just fine.. The one you are looking at appears to be pretty similar but faster, and with more hard drive than mine..

Lots of screen, I LOVE having a 10 key on the keyboard and has been very reliable. Keyboard has a good feel and has a standard keyboard layout (no oddball key placements you find on most laptops)

CONS: pretty short battery life off the power cable, is physically pretty large (17 inch screen)

I would buy another one myself..

Prices on laptops have come down a lot in 3 years, and the prices on the current ones seem to be pretty low IMO.. They are competitive with most desk top units now and so other than being replaced by newer designs, I doubt prices are going to do anything dramatic after Xmas.. (just my guess)

Last edited:
Just my two cents here but I believe prices after Christmas will depend upon how many units are sold during the Christmas buying season. If the manufacturers only move a fraction of the units they hope to, look for some great deals. If they move close to what they had hoped, prices will most likely be the same as they are now.

On that, I've got a dell and I love it. going on two years old and haven't had the first problem. My home PC is also dell and it is pushing 5 years now. Still does everything I need it to do and the only thing I've had to do is replace the fan on the heat sink. Not bad considering I hardly ever shut it down.

whatever you get there will be better, faster, cheaper the next week. get one you like WHEN YOU WANT IT. nothing lasts anymore

whatever you get there will be better, faster, cheaper the next week. get one you like WHEN YOU WANT IT. nothing lasts anymore

Yes, I understand this but looking for the most bang for the buck. My Sony Viao has worked flawlessly for many a year. Just want a bigger screen laptop with docking capabilities.

r8

IME Black Friday specials on laptops are usually low buck units to start with and usually on their last leg of production... so cheap but out of date is the norm...

I have a DV8000 w/twin 120G drives I have had for about 3 years now and it keeps plugging away just fine.. The one you are looking at appears to be pretty similar but faster, and with more hard drive than mine..

Lots of screen, I LOVE having a 10 key on the keyboard and has been very reliable. Keyboard has a good feel and has a standard keyboard layout (no oddball key placements you find on most laptops)

CONS: pretty short battery life off the power cable, is physically pretty large (17 inch screen)

I would buy another one myself..

Prices on laptops have come down a lot in 3 years, and the prices on the current ones seem to be pretty low IMO.. They are competitive with most desk top units now and so other than being replaced by newer designs, I doubt prices are going to do anything dramatic after Xmas.. (just my guess)

That is one issue on the model listed above. On the HP web site you can order the 8 cell battery which is a plus. Problem there is over $1200 for what I want.

I can see sacrifices forth coming. :laugh:

r8

Not sure about when to buy, but I've had very good luck and been happy with our Toshiba's. Wife's had 3, only because she wants the latest and greatest and I've used the hand-me-downs and we've been happy with them all.

go with a Mac, yes they are a little more expensive but well worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Whatever you do make sure its loaded up with RAM. 4GB will work. Don't let anyone tell you less will work.

I got a re-conditioned dell laptop from inkstop earlier this year. Cost $400 and the thing has performed perfectly for me. I think they now have them for $300.

Not sure about when to buy, but I've had very good luck and been happy with our Toshiba's. Wife's had 3, only because she wants the latest and greatest and I've used the hand-me-downs and we've been happy with them all.

They make a great product.

r8

:rofl:

This didn't take long!

Just bought a laptop. Pictures later. Fell in :love: with it.

A new Sony HD widescreen with HDMI and more.

Beautiful.

r8

What Sam said, I guarantee you she'll give you far more hours of pleasure than any stinking laptop!! Also, that will keep you off of here so much :poke:

eight i would give it a few weeks the prices will drop, i know have six dang laptops.
my wife took the newest hp, leaving me with the new macbook which i love the most, got a acer one, that thing is sweet. one dell and one gateway. another dell i am selling. im a freaking laptop collector nut. for the bang for the buck stick with hp. i have had great coustomer service out of them. dell ok, gateway sucks. mac, awesome awesome.

My first though is that unless you are traveling a lot forget about the Laptop. There are just too many compromises in a laptop that result in subpar performance when you compared to a PC...

Otherwise, now is as good a time as any. Technology never takes a pause so you just cannot really sit around waiting for the "next" big thing, cause there is always a "next"... FWIW.

Buy whatever you're after and enjoy. Myself I recommend a Lenovo/IBM or a Dell Refurb, I've had 5 Dell refurbs over the years and they cannot be beat when it comes to value and durability.

Is this your answer to everything? :laugh:

Nah, just every poll:laugh:
My first though is that unless you are traveling a lot forget about the Laptop. There are just too many compromises in a laptop that result in subpar performance when you compared to a PC...

Otherwise, now is as good a time as any. Technology never takes a pause so you just cannot really sit around waiting for the "next" big thing, cause there is always a "next"... FWIW.

Buy whatever you're after and enjoy. Myself I recommend a Lenovo/IBM or a Dell Refurb, I've had 5 Dell refurbs over the years and they cannot be beat when it comes to value and durability.

He travels alot, so I think that's why he is wanting a new laptop:thumbsup:

Back