Shopping batteries notice a huge range in price all if them 1st Gen recommended.

Chango

Registered
I realize how little I know about motorcycle batteries. When I do a search I have so many choices but no information as to how to make a solid choice in battery. From what I understand I want a "maintenance free" battery. If someone doesn't mind schooling me on battery buying 101 I would appreciate it. thanks in advance.

Pretty much every battery nowadays is maintenance free. You can buy a cheap 1 @ advanced auto parts and it will say that on the box. Some still are running their factory batteries with no issues from years & years ago. There are traditional batteries and Lithium batteries. Lithium batteries cost more and are lighter & smaller and some brands provide more CCA's (cold cranking amps) so you bike will start easier.

Either type you'll still have issues if you have bad wiring or a parasitic drain from an accessory. You'll still run in2 problems regardless if you have it sitting for months on end especially in the cold without at least hooking it up 2 a battery tender occasionally..... So there really is no such thing as "maintenance" free IMO. Because if maintained properly you can extend the life of your battery exponentially

Three advantages the Life has over the SLA is weight, shelf life, and longevity. The Life weighs less than 2 lbs, can sit disconnected about 1 year, and will last about 10 yrs.

With a lazy butt, an alarm that draws 4mA and a bike that often gets parked for a long time, my batteries don't go much beyond 2 years. I always order online direct from Yuasa, put in the fluid, charge and good until the next one. :whistle:

Use a Volt meter and a couple of days after charging if the Volts drop below 12.5V for the conventional sealed battery, it is kinda kaput.

What ever battery you go with - make sure it has a 2 year warranty.

I have had 2 that lasted 20 months or so and I got new replacements for free.
If I had batteries with only a 1 year warranty I would have been SOL so to speak.

I charge my batteries about every 4-6 weeks during the wintertime and have no problems unless the
battery is defective, like the ones I had replaced.

As of tonight, I installed a Ballistic evo 12cell, very light about 2/3 the size and about 2.4lbs.

Back