Shopping A Gen 1

Num1bigguy

Registered
hey all. New here. As the title says I'm shopping for a gen 1 busa. Anyone give me anything to look for. I'm looking for stock as possible and also not looking for a stretched bike. Any suggestions would be great. I have a few I'm considering local to me with anywhere from 10,000 miles to 26,000 miles. Thanks in advance.

I would buy an '03 or later as by '03 Suzuki had fixed the bendy aluminum sub frame, the clogging fuel filters, the cam chain problems and the starter gear issues. The '03 and later also have the 32 bit upgraded ECU.

Here's a list;

From Suzuki + Haynes manuals:

1999 (GSX1300R-X) - 1st model year.

2000 (GSX1300R-Y):
- Crankcase breather arrangement changed - no oil catch tank + larger breather housing; resulting in a smaller oil capacity.
-Clutch spring length + spring support bolt length increased.
- Fuel feed + return hoses changed + re-routed. Design of fuel level sensor + low level warning switch changed.

2001 (GSX1300R-K1):
- Cam chain tensioner design changed along with its housing to allow reception of oil from the front passage in the crankcase.
- Fuel pump moved inside the tank, incorporating the fuel filter and pressure regulator as well as a mesh strainer and a new fuel level sensor and low level warning switch. Having the pressure regulator inside the tank eliminated the need of the fuel return hose from the delivery rail on the throttle bodies, with the consequence being that the supply hose and fuel delivery rail arrangement was changed.

2002 (GSX1300R-K2):
- Clutch plate arrangement modified to incorporate an anti-rattle spring and spring seat. Clutch release cylinder piston and bore were reduced in diameter.
- Exhaust system incorporates an oxygen sensor which communicated with the ECM to reduce emission levels. To do this, the PAIR system control valve is triggered by a solenoid that is controlled by the ECM.

2003 (GSX1300R-K3):
- Incorporated a torque limiter on the motor idle/reduction gear train to dampen initial torque and reduce stress on individual components.

2004 (GSX1300R-K4):
- No significant changes.

2005 (GSX1300R-K5):
- Headlight electronically turned off during engine start to reduce battery load.
- Graphite LE edition made just slightly faster than other editions.
- First year of clear plastic front turn signals.

2006 (GSX1300R-K6):
- No significant changes.

cheers
ken

hey all. New here. As the title says I'm shopping for a gen 1 busa. Anyone give me anything to look for. I'm looking for stock as possible and also not looking for a stretched bike. Any suggestions would be great. I have a few I'm considering local to me with anywhere from 10,000 miles to 26,000 miles. Thanks in advance.

Mileage shouldn't be as much of a concern as a proper maintenance history. An original condition bike that's a one owner would also be sweet. Also I wouldn't buy into the 05LE being faster.... Checking the undertail for rubber would be a no sale too. As with any bike, the fork seals sh
image.jpeg
ould seal, brake pad and rotor wear should be ok. The addition of HH pads would be nice as would braided SS brake lines, but no lowering, no extended tail, no 'custom' do dads. My ten yr old LE has over 60,000 miles and is in perfect condition due to proper maintenance and not seeing the rev limiter every time it's ridden. BTW, Amsoil is good stuff! Good luck in the hunt!

I have a 2003 Copper bike bone stock with 16,8xx miles on it. Cherry bike. If you're interested PM me. I'm currently working out of state bur I can give you particulars and see if it fits what you seek.

Thank you everyone for the answers. I ended up buying a 2004. It's pretty much stock. It's flat black and looks good. It runs phenomenal and it's only mod beyond paint is the voodoo mufflers. Just today I did the Buell peg mod for lower pegs and it totally changed it to the point I'm glad I've only had a chance to ride it once before the peg mod. After adjusting my levers it was the best freezing cold ride around the neighborhood.

image.jpeg

Back