Shop pics! Give me ideas.....

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
I am am planner, meaning that I plan out just about everything months and months in preparation for execution. Sometime this summer or fall there is a good chance that I am going to build a shop.

For those that have a shop,
  1. What would you do different from what you have.
  2. What would you do the same.
  3. What is an absolute MUST HAVE!
What else have you all seen that you think would be a great feature to have for a shop... Pics requested so I know what to look for and check into.

thanks folks!

As u know I did just this last year. Suggest hunting that thread to see specifics.
I wouldnt change much at all, as I also did extensive research beforehand.
The 2 things that stand out however are def have garage doors added after finishing. I was going to do it in stages, but changed my mind about it and it turned into a clusterF.
Also, if ur doing an auto lift, I would add LED lights in the floor under it.
Dont skimp on the flooring, u WILL regret it.
Other than that, I am very happy with everything about my shop.
Feel free to contact me personally with any specific Qs capt...would be happy to chat about it.
Troy

Plumb for air, hot and cold water, lots of electric outlets and lighting. Durable flooring(epoxy?) Maybe even radiant heat...
Agreed. I did the outlets, two circuits and good lighting, really wish I'd plumbed it for water and the radiant heat is a great idea.

I have hot and cold water, 4 outlets per wall, all walls on their own circuit. Compressor wired to 240 as well as a extra 240 drop for any other needs. And bright lights. Lots of lights. Would love to have epoxy floors and walls plumbed for air but a hose reel works as well.

That's what your pants pockets are for.:fire:
HI. make sure you have room to park.

I've not built a shop for myself, but I have over a decade of bringing concrete to such buildings under my belt and I've got a few suggestions: if you can afford the initial expense of a geothermal floor, you will be money ahead in the long run. Insulate well the first time, again you'll be money ahead. Build it big, you will inevitably use all the space you have and you don't want to run out.

Back