Shop in Denver/Imperial Motor Sports

Skywalker

Donating Member
Registered
Son & I down in Denver today as the MV Augusta has an electrical problem. Shuts off inadvertently at WOT mostly & other times at varying speeds. 4th trip at 1hr 10 drive each way. Today they had done four hours of labor to get to a sensor to remove it thinking that would fix it but it’s a no go! They will not drive it and don’t have a dyno to test on, so it’s another trip for us. So, we visited "Imperial Motor Sports" while we were there to check them out. Mom and pops and its a huge place. They sell parts from wrecked salvaged European bikes to all over the world and a large mechanic based service shop, engine builds and anything in between. These guys are racers as well and have a mini Indy car with a Aprilia engine. Cody is of course interested in the Aprilia RSV4 1100 Factory since he has no bike to ride currently. Drop Box Shares two videos BTW, my Busa's just work... always! So does Great White... always!!!

That's a tough pill to swallow..

A few years ago I was looking at a slightly used Aprilia RSV 1000 which was traded into a car lot. A good friend of mine who owns a bike shop tole me stay as far away from it as possible as they are (at that time) known for electrical issues as they get a bit older.

it was a drop dead gorgeous bike though with deadly sounding Andropovic pipes on it...

Were you charged for that sensor swap? That is common but unethical.

I found this. Does this match your son's model?

Internet thread - be wary

"If this helps I'm quoting the head technical advisor from mv agusta USA out of PA
"The tip sensor and side stand switch and quick shifter are the only thing that can cause shut off without error on dash"

Did the tech eliminate these candidates? With testing and not guessing? Does your son know, did it die simultaneously with a shift?

From the above thread, does the bike record an error?

If those are eliminated here is a simple test requiring no special equipment. Connect a voltmeter. Run the bike (is it safe to idle this bike roasting hot?) Do not touch anything for fear of grounding it. Does the voltage slowly diminish? That's a ground problem.

Along those lines note if the approximate operation time is the commonality for the failure, ergo, every two minutes it dies, but this only happens after it is fully warmed up. That could be the ground side becoming charged due to a corroded connection opening due to heat. When it stalls the excess charge leaks to ground, which would allow it to "magically" start right back up.

Last edited:
This is some good info and its very similar to this read in your link. It does it mostly at WOT but has done it an lower speeds. Not just when he shifts at all but could be. Its all over the place. The day he bought it new off the show room it lost the nut holding the quick shifter in place. We put a properly fitting nut right back on it and he already new on the way home from the purchase that the quick shifter didn't work correctly.

They have two sets of rear sets with this bike and they had the nicer set on it which we think maybe the dealer installed them at the dealer so they may have dorked up the quick shifter and thus why the nut feel off only 1 hr/home from the purchase. He let them know that and they ordered the proper nut and replaced the nut and adjusted so the quick shifter would work properly. That was great.

After that is when the issue started up. I'm thinking that maybe this quick shifter may be the issue. As well, the code that he has seen is a lean angle sensor. The dealer has flashed the ECU several times during oil/filter change and I guess that is normal for them to do in case of updates. I'm thinking what if a faulty interface with the ECU flash. Maybe The dealer does see in their computer the "shut downs/faults" but they can't say from their reading of the computer what it is.

This bike is under warranty and is under a full warranty. That sensor they removed was not replaced but only unplugged or removed via suggested method from MV Agusta. No cost to us at all except all the drives now back and forth while they all look around scratching their heads and saying MV is hard to deal with and sometimes days to get a response from them. Even worse to get parts from. That would be good to have a $25,000 buying informed on prior to buying but then they would not sell any then.

This is great info you found here and he has done lots of research and I found similar threads in forums to provide to Cody but I'm thinking he is just letting them do their thing.

I'll share all this with Cody and see if we can have some conversations with dealer in line with your provided thread here on our next visit. We were their last Tuesday to test the removed sensor so they should be back at it by now and maybe a call soon.

Appreciate all this and I see C10 liked your post as well and I know you are very likely to know more about this they the damn dealer.

I may be just the dad here but I'm about ready to show my ass with the GM.

Were you charged for that sensor swap? That is common but unethical.

I found this. Does this match your son's model?

Internet thread - be wary

"If this helps I'm quoting the head technical advisor from mv agusta USA out of PA
"The tip sensor and side stand switch and quick shifter are the only thing that can cause shut off without error on dash"

Did the tech eliminate these candidates? With testing and not guessing? Does your son know, did it die simultaneously with a shift?

From the above thread, does the bike record an error?

If those are eliminated here is a simple test requiring no special equipment. Connect a voltmeter. Run the bike (is it safe to idle this bike roasting hot?) Do not touch anything for fear of grounding it. Does the voltage slowly diminish? That's a ground problem.

Along those lines note if the approximate operation time is the commonality for the failure, ergo, every two minutes it dies, but this only happens after it is fully warmed up. That could be the ground side becoming charged due to a corroded connection opening due to heat. When it stalls the excess charge leaks to ground, which would allow it to "magically" start right back up.

8 Jul 2020.... Cody finally gets a call from Faye Meyers on the MV Agusta F4. Remember, this time its been in their possession since 22 Apr 2020... day before his birthday. They called and finally said without a doubt.. they found it. Ignition wire! That is one of the first things he ask them to please check as it was highly discussed on a MV Forum. So, new Ignition warranty request was put in to MV and the final "I HOPE" wait is on. He is very excited and I know deep down he smiles more over this damn pasta queen then the Busa. It is what it is.

Pucking right.... I've been there and they now me now. Put on my A Hole hat and expressed my concern as a dad. They suck from sales to the extended warranty department to Non Service Department!!!

Hopefully this will take care of, but that's a long time for a shop to diagnose a problem.

I called and talked to Bart just about 3 weeks ago about this problem. Very nice guy and simply put... don't want you to waste your money here knowing you have a warranty. However, you can and I'm sure we can find it and have the advantage of a live real time dyno run to our advantage. I really have a good feeling about Imperial if I never needed anything above my normal at home garage BS.

Bart, at Imperial Motor Sports is the man that tuned my bike , did my forks, set the suspension. I’ve always had good luck with him, and have followed him around a few shops.

Finally, the MV Agusta F4 was took in on Cody's birthday... 23 Apr and just got her back Saturday the 15 Aug. Damn near four months. They had said the ignition has a bad wire or connection which was about 3 weeks ago. Was waiting on MV to ship the part when they also said the Fuel Pump was faulty. So, that was the focus and when he pulled in the driveway yesterday he was a happy camper to have her back. He detailed her and seen they left all quick fasteners on left fairing all loose. Snapped them in and a quick turn and good to go. Ok, he and Seth on the Great White went out riding afterwards and all good. Yesterday evening I get a text from Cody the MV just dumped or is dumping all fuel on his garage floor. I facetimed and its all over the place. He had to put her out in the driveway and was still leaking late last night. He is somewhat afraid of taking the tank off to see what the hell they did now for its warranty work and they may say he did it. Faye Myers is not doubt some incompetent peeps and have proved that to me! That could of easily of been a fire and even burned the house down not to mention an explosion while riding it. I don't have photo's of the leaking since we facetimed. Oh, the Italian gas cap assembly he installed prior to all this is faded as well from sun bleach. There is no dealership that gives a poop about your baby. None! He though buying a new bike with warranty and extended warranty was a good thing. Who wouldn't?
MV F4 1.jpg
MV F4 2.jpg
MV F4 3.jpg

Finally, the MV Agusta F4 was took in on Cody's birthday... 23 Apr and just got her back Saturday the 15 Aug. Damn near four months. They had said the ignition has a bad wire or connection which was about 3 weeks ago. Was waiting on MV to ship the part when they also said the Fuel Pump was faulty. So, that was the focus and when he pulled in the driveway yesterday he was a happy camper to have her back. He detailed her and seen they left all quick fasteners on left fairing all loose. Snapped them in and a quick turn and good to go. Ok, he and Seth on the Great White went out riding afterwards and all good. Yesterday evening I get a text from Cody the MV just dumped or is dumping all fuel on his garage floor. I facetimed and its all over the place. He had to put her out in the driveway and was still leaking late last night. He is somewhat afraid of taking the tank off to see what the hell they did now for its warranty work and they may say he did it. Faye Myers is not doubt some incompetent peeps and have proved that to me! That could of easily of been a fire and even burned the house down not to mention an explosion while riding it. I don't have photo's of the leaking since we facetimed. Oh, the Italian gas cap assembly he installed prior to all this is faded as well from sun bleach. There is no dealership that gives a poop about your baby. None! He though buying a new bike with warranty and extended warranty was a good thing. Who wouldn't? View attachment 1624957View attachment 1624958View attachment 1624959
At this point I would think that bike should almost fall under a lemon law with all his issues. I know he has to be fuming and I know you are a well. At this point the dealer owes him something big time, if they don't do something to make it right he needs to take to every type of social media he can and let it be known how they handle business. Kind of sad something that expensive can't be dealt with better. Time to get rid of that bike and spend the money on a couple more busas :thumbsup:

Easy to poop on people when there is no recourse!

At this point I would think that bike should almost fall under a lemon law with all his issues. I know he has to be fuming and I know you are a well. At this point the dealer owes him something big time, if they don't do something to make it right he needs to take to every type of social media he can and let it be known how they handle business. Kind of sad something that expensive can't be dealt with better. Time to get rid of that bike and spend the money on a couple more busas :thumbsup:

I am unsure that this is a lemon as I do not trust anything the dealer determined including which of the parts supposedly failed. They may have proactively caused every problem that occurred beginning with the rearset swap, or alternatively misdiagnosed issues in the first place. It sounds like semantics as The Lemon Law would be an asset to help return the bike, but it needs to be considered when deciding if you want to keep the bike.

The bike needs a factory certified tech to bolt it together correctly, troubleshoot it and repair any existing problems. This dealership does not likely employ said person.

One question to ask moving forward is: If this was beautifully resolved, where would you go for the next valve check, general maintenance, or problem?

If you decide to try and get it repaired and keep it, I would type a letter to the US HQ of MVA and send it certified and overnight. End it with "What would you recommend that we do?" Make sure and include the detail for the record, "We are currently concerned with a disastrous fuel fire or explosion leading to someone's death." That is not an unfair exaggeration but it does behoove you to include practical considerations that companies by law have to address. If they do not address such they risk creating a massive liability for themselves. This detail can help assure that they take some sort of action on your behalf.

The car network has regional techs that are called in and charge $$$$$ to fix problems that techs worked weeks on, and this is the type of result I would hope for. It would be nice if MVA had a certified tech in your region and stuck them on the project. If I wanted to keep the bike that would be the one resolution I could agree to. No assurance from the dealer approaches this, which is why I do not think that pressure on the dealership has any value to you.

Last edited:
Back