Shoei RF-1100 Review

04Duramax

Registered
Well somehow I managed to snap off a side cover on my Arai Quantum II this last weekend and was in need of a new lid... so I headed down to one of my favorite local spots and found this.. my new Shoei RF-1100. So far I have only racked up about 120 miles under it and these are my thoughts.

Looks: I think it looks great! I love the built in spoiler with 4 exhaust ports and the side lever that allows for a vent mode of the screen, full motion and a lock position. The finish is spot on with no marks or defects in the paint. My only gripe is i wish I would have waited and ordered a different color, this gloss black shows EVERYTHING.. to include each time I touch it.

Venting: The venting is decent. I think my Arai vented better than this one but it's not that bad. I do not get to much updraft from the chin area which I like. I wish the exhaust system worked on it a little better, but I don't think much can help when it's already over 110 deg outside.

Visibility: The visibility thru the screen is AMAZING! You almost have a 180 degree field of vision on this thing. The screen also seems pretty tall, you barely even notice that you're looking thru a helmet. This is pretty much my favorite feature.

Weight: Feels very light weight while wearing it. I believe it comes in weighing only 2.9lbs. While riding you barely even notice that you have it on, another positive.

Riding impression: Well like I said I only have a bit over 100 mi under it and I love it. It feels virtually weightless and I get no tugging or pulling when I turn my head at speed. My only niggle with it is the wid noise you get from the screen seal. I have no clue why but over 55mph this thing whistles like a mutha. It's not enough to make you go deaf or anything, but I would still wear ear plugs with it if you are going to be riding for a while. Another big positive is that it is SNELL 2010 certified. From what I can tell this is one of the first ones out there with this.

So over all I love the new helmet and look forward to spending lots of time wearing it. Oh and for those that noticed, no that is not the screen that came with it, I purchased a light smoke with a mirror finish to help with this bright AZ sun.

securedownload.jpg

Great Helmet. I went from an Arai to a Shoei. Quality wise, I think they are very similar. I like the finish on my Shoei better. The Arai fits better on my Long Oval head.

love mine too, have put a few thousand miles in it so far and absolutely love it. Have heard a few complain about the whistling, but i don't experience this at all. Are u sure u have the lever in the correct position? Sometimes on extremely hot days i use the lever to crack the screen a bit (works great for a little airflow to your face), and notice it whistles pretty good, but if the screen is in the closed or locked position, mine doesn't whistle period. I did read somewhere that u can adjust the hinges to give the screen a tighter seal, maybe that would fix it

I have a RF-1000 and a X-eleven. Love them both. I have a new X-Twelve on order. I'd like to try a RF-1100 as well some time.

Back