shocks on a gen 1 (front springs and rear shock)

dabigboi220

Registered
whats good world,
i don't know or haven't seen on here but i am looking for anyone with information on progressive springs and rear shocks on a 03 busa. i am curious on how they ride and fitment of the products.

I don't have any experience with them, but I have heard good things. For my '01, I went with Ohlins all around and I love it. Depending on your size, weight and riding style, a new setup or just getting your forks services can make her feel like a brand new scoot. Some people go and have the forks respiring for them specifically - so there are lots of options, it just all depends on what you want...

What are you benefits are you hoping for/expecting with the non-linear compression?

MCM

Some pretty knowledgeable people have asked you why you would want this. I don't want to put any words in someone else's mouth, so I'll ask too? The thought behind a progressive spring seams to be that it would provide a softer initial rate to ride more smoothly over small stuff, but still have a strong enough rate to handle big stuff. This can provide an improvement of sorts on a bike with no adjustability of compression or rebound and a stock spring that is too weak for the weight of the bike and rider (lots of cruisers and many older bikes). Current thoughts on improving bike suspension recognize that the spring basically just supports this weight, and tuning how the bike suspension responds or handles bumps and changes is done by changing the compression and rebound valving. An issue with a progressive spring is that it is practically impossible to tune C or R properly when the rate of the spring changes depending on where in the travel it is. A properly chosen linear spring rate and shock valving that is modified for a useful range of adjustment is the way to go in my opinion.

Some pretty knowledgeable people have asked you why you would want this. I don't want to put any words in someone else's mouth, so I'll ask too? The thought behind a progressive spring seams to be that it would provide a softer initial rate to ride more smoothly over small stuff, but still have a strong enough rate to handle big stuff. This can provide an improvement of sorts on a bike with no adjustability of compression or rebound and a stock spring that is too weak for the weight of the bike and rider (lots of cruisers and many older bikes). Current thoughts on improving bike suspension recognize that the spring basically just supports this weight, and tuning how the bike suspension responds or handles bumps and changes is done by changing the compression and rebound valving. An issue with a progressive spring is that it is practically impossible to tune C or R properly when the rate of the spring changes depending on where in the travel it is. A properly chosen linear spring rate and shock valving that is modified for a useful range of adjustment is the way to go in my opinion.

thank you IN10SS you actually said it better than me. i would also add that being budget minded it was a better deal for both shock and spring. besides they will offer a better look to my angry old man, both the shock and the springs are 1in shorter and will provide the lowered look without changing the triple tree. if my size is an issue i am 6'1 and 240 pounds.

I resprung my 04 early this spring. Get online and calculate what spring rate you should be running. After the install, adjust the preloads and comp/rebound, finally set the ride height LAST. Lowering the forks and rear links. I took mine from lowered, to correct height and then adjusted/resprung it. I can be happier, rides great and corners exceptionally.

My front springs come from Sonic Spings SonicSprings.com
Rear spring from E Shocks eshocks.com: Springs: 2.25" I.D. - 8"

Stock springs are front 0.85 kg/mm, and rear 13.1 kg/mm
I'm 6 even and right at 280, for me I went with 1.20 kg/mm in the front properly cut the spacers to give me 10mm of preload with zero on the caps. The rear for me was 16.1 kg/mm (900lbs) also with 10mm preload. Texas Motor Sports swapped my rear spring quick and easy. I'll also mention I ordered two Spring Adapter Collars (required to mount listed spring) SPSC B5855 at $2.99 ea from Race Tech to mount up the rear spring.
Rear spring was $60 to $70 and the fronts run $80 for the set. You may as well replace the fork seals at the same time as they are cheap and easy to do while doing springs.

It's cool to have a budget and try to adhere to it when it comes to your hobbies however there's somethings that are worth the money and worth saving for :whistle: if your the type to just putt around town and occasionally open it up down a strip of highway then those may work for you. But if you enjoy riding.....actually riding then a proper suspension setup is important and worth the extra money IMO.

Back