shipping the bus

busa_bill

Life - tastes like chicken!
Donating Member
Registered
My son will be stationed near Seattle in a couple of weeks. Wanted to start thinking about the best way to get his bus to him. That's 2400 miles from Houston, and I'd have to catch a plane back, so I'm thinking....naw, I ain't going to ride it. The new PP's would take a beating and he'd be ready for new skins.

I'm sure the Army has some provision for transfer of personal property. Can I trust his prestine bike to government paid movers, or should I arrange it myself?
Had thought about shipping the bike naked and boxing the plastic for UPS.

Hey, and tips you guy's can throw my way would be appreciated.

Bill I just got out of the Navy a year ago and a few of my navy buddies that had their bikes shipped before told me not to trust the movers with the Bike they all said when they got their bikes back they had scratches and dings on there bikes. So I say grab a trailer and make a trip out to see your son and deliver the bike to him yourself at least then you know it is in good hands and will arrive safe.

Bill, I know a guy that all he does is drive from location to location working his U-ship.com business. I had a beautiful Airstream Trailer transfered to Northern California from Seattle WA. and he did a fabulous job.

I can get his number or you can go ahead and open a bid on U-Ship to secure a slot.

U-ship is cool because you can check the bidder's reputation and select the best bid from whomever you want based on location, distance and, again, their reputation.

Let me know if you would like the driver's number.

TLC and your satisfaction is his forte!
super.gif

The government paid movers are the same movers that you would hire, they are just hire by the government and if it's any consolation, have to qualify for that. Don't tear the bike apart,it'll cost more and stick with name brand movers(Allied,Mayflower,Atlas,United) if your not going to do it yourself and remember, you get what you pay for if your an el-cheapo.
Call around,get quotes,shy away from companies that don,t accommodate you, take full value coverage, have them inventory it. If you hire a professional, tell the driver( not the guy giving you the quote on the phone) it's a special deal with the bike and don't nitpick them and stand over their shoulder, let them do their job,assist if needed but don't tell them how to do their job. I've been a mover for almost 30 years and trust me, the last thing the guy driving truck wants to do hurt your bike. If it makes you feel better, pull off the mirrors and mufflers but not the plastics. Oh and theres company's that move nothing but motorcycles and cars, remember, you get what you pay for.
Unfortunately it's an occupation where when you put your hands on someone else's personal belongings, THEY turn into a nightmare, don't you do this, if you can't handle it, do it yourself. Remember, in reality,it's just a mass produced motorcycle, not that thing between your legs. Sorry, had to say something being the one on the receiving end so many a times. Hope I wasn't to strait forward, hope it helps. Oh and most movers can be trusted of the line-haul lifer type, do something long enough and you kind of know what your doing.

I had my bike shipped from FL to KS and I used JCmotors I had the bike crated to protect it. I have to say I was pleased with them. I had no problems took about 10 days to get it to where it was going. Bike had no dents dings scratches or whatnots, it cost me around $500 to have it shipped.

Good stuff here. I wish I had the time to take it up to him. He's got a few buddy's that are going to the same post, so they are planning to fly into CA and drive up the coast.
sad.gif
I wish dad could go although he would cramp their style

Interesting on not removing the farings - I figured that would be the way to go at least on the lowers. Will start researching some of the company's and ideas mentioned. All good stuff to consider. Thanks!

Back