Shipping a motor help?

isiahstites

Registered
I bought a busa motor on ebay and need to ship it from Texas to California. It will be on a pallet for the shipping. What/Who do you guys recommend? I would like to keep cost as low as possible and I am not in a hurry to get it the motor.

By the way the engine is in Magnolia, Tx which is about 60 miles north of Houston.

Scott

I bought a busa motor on ebay and need to ship it from Texas to California. It will be on a pallet for the shipping. What/Who do you guys recommend? I would like to keep cost as low as possible and I am not in a hurry to get it the motor.

By the way the engine is in Magnolia, Tx which is about 60 miles north of Houston.

Scott

Fedex does a pretty good job from what I hear. They have all their freight prices listed on their website. You just need to lookup the zone it would be coming from and the zone it's coming to (also on their site) and the estimated weight.

Here's what I did. Find a small wooden pallet, 1 used motorcycle rear tire, 4 cheap straps from walmart(4pack) and some shrink wrap. Put the tire on the pallet, that will support the engine or you can use wood to make supports. Set the engine down. Use a strap on each corner to hold the engine to the pallet. I used bolts with large washers to attach the straps to the engine. Then when the engine is secure, wrap it up in shrinkwrap. Wrap the whole pallet and all. For extra protection I laid a piece of cardboard between the tire and pallet. I also covered the engine with some cardboard before I wrapped the pallet.

Call a trucking company and ship it. 3 years ago it cost me $94 to ship from Va to Oklahoma.

Last edited:
You can save some money and pick it up at the terminal..they may only have terminal pick up with stuff shipped on a pallet unless it is sent to a business that has a shipping dock / tow motor

the last motor i had shipped i went to my local bike shop and had them help and had them take care of the details. it was shipped to them and it was really easy to deal. I think it cost me a little extra but it was worth it for the peace of mind:)

Back