Shinko splitting why?

JeffSyh

Registered
I bought a brand new shinko this year and have maybe 500 km on it this year and haven't been to the track or launched hard yet and it split on me? Never over inflated or under inflated.

What do you guys recommend for an alternative for a turbo busa? I'll never use another shinko again.

20220605_144338.jpg

I've seen brand new shinkos blow up in dynos but I haven't seen one split like this, I ride fairly hard on the street but I haven't even done a burn out with it or heavy cornering since the bikes lowered.
Sorry should have specified heavy temperature fluctuations in storage. I had a SC3 do that on the rear but that's after going thru a few track days, bunch of street miles and 2 heavy winters. Compound looses integrity and the rubber splits even under medium throttle

Sorry should have specified heavy temperature fluctuations in storage. I had a SC3 do that on the rear but that's after going thru a few track days, bunch of street miles and 2 heavy winters. Compound looses integrity and the rubber splits even under medium throttle
Ok, I order it from fortnine maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow and try a dragmax next.

That tire looks a year old atleast, I had heard of problems with either the hook up or the hook up pro, I forget which. But that tire looks bad either way lol

Ppl use shinkos everyday, I was just at the track yesterday and every street bike had one.

Over 170Mph and u need something else tho

That tire looks a year old atleast, I had heard of problems with either the hook up or the hook up pro, I forget which. But that tire looks bad either way lol

Ppl use shinkos everyday, I was just at the track yesterday and every street bike had one.

Over 170Mph and u need something else tho
Tire was installed in April of this year and has seen less then 500 km I've been working out kinks on the bike and the weather had been trash this year.

What are the dragmax's like? I don't care about price, rather not die from a garbage tire lol.

I don't know as I personally haven't used them, and even though I did my share of track and street racing, I wouldn't call myself a drag racer either.
I do remember alot of reports of Shinko failures years ago, and I Have personally seen a few that would not balance, vibrated badly, split and were delaminating/layers seperating, to the point that I wouldn't even touch them.
I tried one rear in 09 on my 08 gen2...it felt like a car tire, and I have zero faith in them.
I do love Dunlop tires(hated seeing their TT issues a few weeks ago) but of the many I've used and mounted for others, I've never had an issue.

Looks like cold cracks
It was fine Friday I lubed and adjusted my chain checked tires and pressures, rode it Friday to work, then it sat Saturday and I rode it Sunday and noticed the crack when I stopped at buddies.

We have had 2 frost warnings in that time period and then fairly warm Temps during the day. So that possibly could be the case but I've never had this issue with michellens when I rode early season/late season.

I have run shinkos a few times on busa. currently have a set on. I have had 0 issues with any sets so far. I have taken it well over 170 with no issues as well. Makes me think though thats for sure. Good thing i will be rolling on corsis soon.

I have run shinkos a few times on busa. currently have a set on. I have had 0 issues with any sets so far. I have taken it well over 170 with no issues as well. Makes me think though thats for sure. Good thing i will be rolling on corsis soon.
I should have learned after seeing Chris Moore have 2 blow up brand new on his dyno last year but they were out of the drag max at the time and I'm not paying shipping from the states.

I'll update what ever happens here.

It was fine Friday I lubed and adjusted my chain checked tires and pressures, rode it Friday to work, then it sat Saturday and I rode it Sunday and noticed the crack when I stopped at buddies.

We have had 2 frost warnings in that time period and then fairly warm Temps during the day. So that possibly could be the case but I've never had this issue with michellens when I rode early season/late season.

I ride all year, and in below freezing temperatures.
It's also common here to be below freezing at night, and warm into the 70's+
I've never had a tire problem from that, and bike tires are like car tires in that respect.
The heat or cold may have brought on the crack...but that is/was a defective tire since it was new.

I've been using a shinko hookup on my PS Bike for the last 4 years. Zero issues over the last bunch of years doing it. Prior to that I was still racing the bike and riding on the street on a Shinko Hookup too, so I did do both with it. The tire I just switched out was 2 seasons old and starting to chunk out of it, but definitely due to excessive use and speed. It's surprising to see what happened to yours, but there are always some manufacturing issues with any product. Don't let it discourage you from using the same type of tire in the future. There's still lots of folks using them without issue.

I switched to the Dragmax last wee so we will see how it goes at the next event. I can't comment on how they would perform on the street, but I've heard and seen really good things at the drag strip.

Back