Shinko slicks are my new friend

sully

Donating Member
Registered
I've had what i thought was an airshifter problem going on for quite some time now and had just about given up on it. I was reading thru some old posts and asking a few questions and came up with a possible solution. Wheel spin could be causing the 1-2 shift to miss into neutral. I decided that since i don't ride her on the street except for a couple times a year I would get a slick for the back wheel. I found a shop just north of Dallas that does the Shinko Slicks installed for $99. I had it put on about a month ago now and for all of you that live around here you know how much rain we have had. Finally last night it was clear enough to take her out and see if it would shift properly. It was packed at the track so I only got two passes in before i left. I didn't have enough time to make a nitrous pass since the main goal was to test the shifter but the bike is lowered and stretched with a brock street megaphone and brock exhaust cam, PC3 with custom map, box mod with KNN (all the basics).

Local track is only 1/8th mile but here are the times:

First pass:
1.612 60ft
4.142 330ft
6.266 1/8th ET @ 114mph

Second Pass:
1.548 60ft
4.065 330ft
6.191 1/8th ET @ 114mph

I know if I had time for a clean nitrous pass I would have been in the 5's but that leaves something to look forward to. I have a 60hp wet shot with a progressive controller, can't wait to get a few good passes in so I can bump it to an 80 or 100 depending on what it looks like on the dyno. Hope this tire can hook this good on the juice.

Congrats on solving that problem.

Keep us informed on the gas runs.
beerchug.gif

Yep you about got it...a little spray will drop you about 2 tenths so that will have you in the 5's. Good driving! Good 60'!

Are you running the full blown R008 slick or the R003 DOT dimpled tire?

Full slick, no dimples here. The 003 with the dimples would break loose either at the top of 1st gear or at the 1-2 shift and cause the **** box to miss shift into neutral. I would have to ease into it soo much that I would not hit WOT until after the 1-2 shift and it was killin my times. I'll try to get out on wednesday and see how it does on the juice.

I gt the 003 off ebay and the listing stated ultra soft. If it was then i am very disappointed with the"ultra soft" rating. It was also a bit cooler when i ran the 003 at the track (10 to 15 degrees cooler) so it may have been that the track was not as stickey but it was still around 70 degrees F. The 003 did stick better then the metzler M1 that I had on there before but nothing like the slick does.

It is flat out amazing how great this tire sticks. Even though it is not a DOT tire it still has the rounded sides so you could run it on the street if you had to (don't expect it to last long). I will never go back to DOT style drag tires. If I decide to start driving it on the street again I will just get second rear wheel and use the slick at the track and the 003 on the street.

super.gif

I have to run a DOT tire in one of the classes I race so that is not an option to me.

I have not run a Shinko …yet, but have been watching closely and talking to the other racers at the track. If you decide to try a 003 again, make 100% sure it is an ultrasoft and I’d suggest the 180 based on what I have seen on the track.

I run a Mickey Thompson shootout tire. It is quite a bit lighter than the Shinkos but more money and will not last as long. It does appear to hook much more consistently then the Shinko and requires less of a burnout. Usually when others are complaining about track conditions, I’m hooking fine. I get about 50 passes out of the Mickey and would not even consider running it on the street. The one on the bike now has 58 passes. It started giving up around 54 passes but it may have been track conditions. I’m going to section this one to see what is really left.

If it is a ultra soft......the sidewall will be marked u-soft.

Does not really matter. Since the slick is working for you and it's cheaper. That's a hard combo to beat.

My guess is the slick is lighter also. That is my biggest complaint about the shinko.

(chevelle @ Jun. 05 2007,08:59) My guess is the slick is lighter also. That is my biggest complaint about the shinko.
That was also my biggest complaint. I ordered both the Mickey and the Shinko 003 190 Ultra soft at the same time when I was goin gto start racing. I could not believe the difference. If I remember correctly it was about 7lbs. I decided to try the Mickey first and loved the way it worked. Never ran the Shinko, sold it to a buddy. I have bought 6 now. Later in the week, I’ll have to fresh ones mounted ready to run. Maybe I can finish the season on them.

As above, I still want to try a Shinko 180. The price just may make it worth it.

Just about everyone around here runs the shinko ultrasoft and they don't complain about it. It may just be that my expectations were un-realistic. Either way the slick is awsome.

(Professor @ Jun. 05 2007,10:15) As above, I still want to try a Shinko 180. The price just may make it worth it.
I will trade you my well broken in 180 u-soft,for 1 of your new mickeys.  
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Those are some nice 60' times!!
super.gif
We won't talk about mine.

YET!!!
race.gif

UPDATE:

Back to the track for test and tune tonight...

Sprayin a 60 hp wet shot with the box set to 50% ramp to 100% in 1 sec.

1.55 60ft
3.97 330ft
5.96 1/8th ET at 123mph

Wonder where it will be with an 80 or 100hp shot, i have the pills but not the faith yet, maybe soon.

Either way it was moooovin by the end of the track... Just got word that a new 1/4 mile track is about to be ready just east of dallas it is almost as close as the 1/8th is so i will be spending my spare time there.

Back