Shimming the absorber hubshock

busa_bill

Life - tastes like chicken!
Donating Member
Registered
I screwed up and forgot to order the 6 absorbers for the rear wheel. Just my luck, as they have deveolped slop at only 9k miles.
Anyway, I need to swap the tires Friday and there's no way to get these here in time.
I started thinking about what the absorber does, and if a shim along each edge would tighten it up. I may be wrong, but I don't think there's anywhere for the shim to move to or shift while mounted.
I could put it back together as-is and replace them later, or I could insert a shim and leave it. I know this is not the "correct" way to do this, but after all, I'm only shimming a piece of rubber. Yes they are cheap! I'm trying not to have to remove the rear wheel again.
What do you think?

No place in the area has them? Pulling the wheel off isn't so hard... I would either try to get some quickly or plan on removing the wheel again...

Just my .02...

Run it as is, if they were meant to be shimmed, they would have had them from the factory....
It's a little noisy when they wear out, but it won't hurt anything as long as you replace them soon.

(MC MUSTANG @ Oct. 10 2006,11:05) No place in the area has them?  Pulling the wheel off isn't so hard... I would either try to get some quickly or plan on removing the wheel again...

Just my .02...
Yeah, I called everywhere when I discovered I dropped the ball on ordering them. Six suzuki shops in Houston, and nobody keeps them on the shelf.
One place wanted $50 to overnight them.  
AAAssjani.gif

Back