Shifting

JuiceLJS

Registered
on the busa, do you need to use the clutch? when shifting, i know on some ds650 four wheelers and others that you can just click it into gear with out the clutch being pulled in?
Thanks,
JuiceLJS

Power shifting is another term for it. Quick throttle control and timing are needed to get it right. It's easy once you get used to it and, if done properly, will not harm the tranny. This is exactly how air-shifters works, the only difference is that the ignition is 'killed' in between shifts to control the engine-to-gears timing.

I do it all the time. You should use no force at all to change gears, upshifting or downshifting.

so then it doesnt matter, if your going high rpm's verus lower rpm's. You can hang on and shift with out the clutch?

b/c ive always wondered how these people can just nail the shifting points. Sounds so perfect, like 10-15 years experencie.
Thanks,
JuiceLJS

Yep. It's just a quick twist, closing the throttle, shifting and twisting the throttle back into position. Wait a split second too long on closing, though and gear lever won't move. What kills the tranny is not getting the timing right and trying to force it into gear.

Practice at low speeds before you start trying it under heavier acceleration.

I too don't use the clutch when going up the box,but when downshifting thats a different matter,I always give it a little blip of the throttle pullin the clutch then knock it down one.

Good points. I will use power shifting 3-6 ( 2nd when racing)most of the time clutch on 1st and 2nd, I always use the clutch on down shifting.

thanks guys, you have cleared alot up for me, now i just need to wait for summer to get here so i can get some practice in... Are there any members located in central ohio? columbus, Marysville,Dublin area?
Thanks,
JuiceLJS

Back