shifting from 5th to 6th...

birdaprey

Registered
has any one else had this problem...

when shifting from 5th to 6th it sometimes hangs up in between gears making this nasty grinding sound! I then have to try the shifter one more time for it to go in to gear...

I don't like this sound at all......
pissed.gif

has any one else had this problem...

when shifting from 5th to 6th it sometimes hangs up in between gears making this nasty grinding sound!  I  then  have to try the shifter one more time for it to go in to gear...

I don't like this sound at all......
pissed.gif
Lazy shift. Letting the clutch out before it's totally engaged in gear. I've had this happen to me a few times.

when I first started riding the busa, I had that problem alot... as Jim just stated, it is a 'lazy' shift. It is a beast and you cant pussyfoot around with her. slam that thing into the next gear! you will get used to it...

also, once I hit 2500 miles, I am now using fully synth Mobil1 oil. Not only have I noticed higher idle rpms, but the transmission shifts alot smoother!!

when I first started riding the busa, I had that problem alot... as Jim just stated, it is a 'lazy' shift. It is a beast and you cant pussyfoot around with her. slam that thing into the next gear! you will get used to it...

also, once I hit 2500 miles, I am now using fully synth Mobil1 oil. Not only have I noticed higher idle rpms, but the transmission shifts alot smoother!!
the busa is my 4th sportbike and have only noticed this with the busa... glad to hear that there's nothing wrong with the bike!
I'll watch how I'm shifting from now on to see what I'm doing.

just wanted to say that after I adjusted my toe shifter down a bit...
I haven't had the gears to grind.... still feel's like it's hard to go in to 6th gear but now I can "feel" it and hold pressure on it a bit longer and it go's right in...

just wanted to finish this thread out....
thumbs-up.gif

just wanted to say that after I adjusted my toe shifter down a bit...
I haven't had the gears to grind.... still feel's like it's hard to go in to 6th gear but now I can "feel" it and hold pressure on it a bit longer and it go's right in...

just wanted to finish this thread out....
thumbs-up.gif
<span style='color:orange'>Sorry to cover old ground, but I have just experienced the dark grinding sound from 5th to 6th. I have only been riding the bus for 3 months and it scared the leathers of me. As any novice would do, I took it to the hospital and they are sighting new chain and sprockets, but this is still a maybe because they want to run some more tests. The chain and sprockets are 18,000 k's old and there is not much adjustment left. There also appears to be a tight spot in the chain. The doctor said that there is a little rust residue on the chain, from not enough love and care from previous owner. All in all the bike goes terrificly terryfying. <span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'></span><span style='font-family:arial'></span>
rock.gif
</span>

You guys are experiencing a very normal thing on Hayabusas unfortunately. I had the same problem on mine and it wasn't from a "lazy shift". It even has a name - False Neutral. Its pretty un-nerving to rev out the engine because of a bad shift. Its normal and goes away by itself in a few thousand miles. So RIDE.

i dont have any problem like you said...if 5to6 make bad sound,you must drop of your oil and you look your oil .. if you see any metal pieces your 5th gear is GRAZE...problem is starting with rider mistake...but you must looking at your oil because if there are some pieces they enter your oil pump emaple.. and this problem will be terrible..

feather5.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are experiencing a very normal thing on Hayabusas unfortunately. I had the same problem on mine and it wasn't from a "lazy shift". It even has a name - False Neutral. Its pretty un-nerving to rev out the engine because of a bad shift. Its normal and goes away by itself in a few thousand miles. So RIDE.

mine does it between 4th-5th-6th, no noises and im shifting as hard as poss. ive also got like a two stage shift, if i concetrate and make sure it goes thru two notches then it goes into gear, if im giving right hand berries and only get one notch then i get a false nuetral, revs climb, then it falls into gear and scares the god almighty crap out of me as the whole thing goes ballistic again.
doctor says nothin wrong, but it only happens when its warm and done 30 - 40 mls, they have adjusted chain and im waiting for the weather to be good to give it a go.

sorry seirraflyer, still getting to grips

had the same problem with my 03.......it's sort of scary. easy fix was to adapt a GP shift pattern into her. that way you can stomp the hell out of her.

I just got my Busa and have experienced the "false neutral" from 5 -> 6 shifting. It was a lazy shift. I have not had it again... Granted this is at break-in RPM's, sub 5k.

firedevil.gif
<span style='color:orange'>Cannot wait to get out from under the break-in period!!!</span>
firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif

OK..At Laguna Seca I had another bad shift 5 to 6 (OK, I admit it was a lazy shift). Later I was cruising in traffic in 4th and getting on it when I saw a cop. To reduce the revs so the cop would be less likely to notice I pulled in the clutch and clicked up on the shifter twice. The first click into 5th was smooth and a "Click". The second shift into 6th was more of a "Crunch". A little farther down the road I tried that move again but this time from 3rd gear. First shift - click; second shift - click; Last shift into 6th - crunch. It doesn't feel the same as the other gears.

1st to 2nd does the same thing - crunch. But from 2nd to third it is a smooth click. Do you guys find the same thing on your bikes?

I also have a Suzuki Volusia and it also does the Ole' "False Neutral". I've also found this problem is posted on all the different Suzuki bike sites. :sad: It seems that Suzuki doesn't use a sync up system in it's tranies like I have on my Kaw or Honda. I've never had a False Neutral on any of them. I think I remember it even happened on when I drove my 88 1/2 Suzuki Samurai .

It's just one of those places Suzuki uses to scrimp to cut cost so we can buy their "suff" cheaper than other bike makers :super:

Welcome to the Hayabusa....bike of the false nuetral. If you're one of those that is willing to shift without the clutch you will find that the bad shift will disappear with the clutch usage in 5th-6th shifts. (There is also a small false neutral issue with 4-5 as well)

However, if you like to use the clutch make sure before you shift you give it a little gas so you actually UNLOAd the gearbox when shifting and shift very quickly. This will help a lot. It would seem that when you'e just coasting along without any real pressure on 5th gear, the gears just kind of clunk around (I know, very scientific) and don't slide in properly.

What the other guys said is true it will get better with more miles. it's a combo of the gearbox breaking in, better oil and a better subconcious shifting mind.

If you do get stuck in the false neutral, do the following:

1. Pull in the clutch
2. Give it a little gas to get the revs up
3. Downshift.
4. try 6th again.

This works better than just rying to slam it up into 6th. It will hurt the tranny less.

A good stiff riding boot will help. also, lowering the shift lever 1/2" will help you get better leverage for shifting. Helps to get rid of the "lazy foot".

Johncal

02 Busa had same problem with 5 and 6 shift. Dealer said I am lazy shifter. Did the Carpenters Clutch Mod and do not experience the problem any more. Only a 100.00 and some time. Actually love the clutch even better then the Factory Clutch Spring. These guy's are right though this is a beast. DRIVE LIKE YOU JUST STOLE IT!!! It is Jap and it can handle it, besides rice is still cheap!!! :newbie:

i had the same shiznit happen and when i ride it like i stole it and shift hard i goes in but i will lower the lever.

Back