Shifting from 5th to 6th gear

OB_RCOREA

Registered
Shifting from 5th to 6th does not seem to be as smooth as the other gears. It takes a little extra upward shifting effort. Is this normal?

If your bike is brand new the answer is *YES*. With time/miles and oil change at the first service, this tends to go away.

My bike has 320 now. My big shift is between 1st and 2nd. If I don't do it positively enough I don't go all the way thru neutral.

I had the same problem w/my Y2k Bus and now that it has 300 miles it is better. Plus, more importantly is I adjusted the shift lever down because it was set too high. That helped I think more than the breakin miles.

i have had no problem with my y2k blue. Shifts like a hot knife thru butter...smooooottttthhhhh.but I only have 19 miles on it.

Well known prob. guys, it usually goes away after first service and a switch to synthetic. the best fix was not using the clutch any more,it came highly reccommended, I tried it and it works great from 3rd on up. Preload the shifter and when its time to let off the gas a second and it pops right in!!!

I've had a new '00 for three weeks. Got 1100 miles on the bike. The well known 5th/6th gear "false neutral" has only happened to me twice and has been my fault both times. You need to be firm of foot with that shift. BTW don't be in too big a rush to put the synthetic oil into your Busa. You need to really let the bike break in first. Synthetic is so slippery that you'll prevent engine parts from seating properly. Others have indicated that if your going to synthetic before you hit 2000mi you may never realize the full power potential of the Busa's formidable 1300cc.

the false neutrals are a big problem.
i have 450 miles. it better go away after the first service. i know kaw's are known to have bad trannys but my kaw shifted much smoother than this.

I dont have time to get long winded on this. Suffice to say stop using the clutch from 5th to 6th and the problem is gone.
Additionally, by 3000 miles and the synthetic switch it will be completely forgotten.

Adjusting the shifter down an inch and a half to fit my foot fixed it for me.

Back