Shift Light Stays On, Even When Bike Is Off With No Key.

lroy

Registered
Not sure what's causing or how to fix it. My battery died this winter, so I jumped it and went for a long ride. The next day, my battery was dead again. This happened twice before I realized my shift light was on all night.

I'm assuming the dead battery is what caused it, but how do I fix it?

I have never heard this one before. I am sure you have tried, can you go in through the menu and manually turn it off?

what did you rev it to 20K and stick the light?!?? Try resetting it. This might unfreeze it.

when i go through to turn it off, the options are just on, brighter, and blinking.

turning it off just leaves it on. it's always on no matter what I set the RPMs to.

I never use it, I'd rather just have it always off, but when I set it to off it just stays lit regardless if the bike is running or not. The only time it shuts off is when it kills the battery.

Dang looks like no one has heard of this issue? My only workaround right now is to disconnect the battery every time I'm done riding.

My guess would be that the issue is in the cluster itself. Is there anyone around with a gen 2 that you could swap clusters with?

Sounds like the cluster's at fault ... Its always got power even with the key out for the clock. You could always open it up and pull the bulb out.

You don't have anything wired into the clusters loom like a gear indicator or anything ?

If I take out the bulb, won't it still be sending power to the socket? Or would that not matter If it's not actual lighting anything.

I haven't done any mods. It was working fine before the battery died.

I'm not sure, but I don't think that it has a bulb. Likely an led soldered to the board like the rest of the dash lights.

What year is this? I don't remember my GEN2 having a "shift now" light...

All gen2's have shift lights.
You just have to set them up before they work.
I never set mine.
Look at your gauges and you'll see it.
Dime size clear/frosted looking lense.

All gen2's have shift lights.
You just have to set them up before they work.
I never set mine.
Look at your gauges and you'll see it.
Dime size clear/frosted looking lense.

Bottom left under fuel gauge? Nope I never set mine...I wonder if he set it for zero or something by accident... or he's created a short in the wiring with the alarm or USB..or the cluster itself is faulty...

Hmm, strange. I'm guessing it's a wiring issue then? I keep it disconnected for now so it doesn't constantly drain the battery. As soon as I tap the main wire to the battery the shift light and clock turn on.

Any ideas on the easiest fix? I'd rather just disconnect it, but I suppose I can just get a new cluster?

Hmm, strange. I'm guessing it's a wiring issue then? I keep it disconnected for now so it doesn't constantly drain the battery. As soon as I tap the main wire to the battery the shift light and clock turn on.

Any ideas on the easiest fix? I'd rather just disconnect it, but I suppose I can just get a new cluster?

I would contact Scotts blue guages.
If it's the guage cluster, they should be able to fix it. They can also change the color if thats something you'de like.
They changed mine to blue. They also do green, red, white and others.
Worst case, you buy a new cluster, Scotts can legally change the odometer so it's correct to your bike. I'de bet they can fix it though.

Like Sixpack said, it could probably be fixed. Why I suggested, if you have a friend or your local dealer has a used one sitting around, swapping them for a minute and see if the shift light wI'll come on on a second one. If the borrowed one works correctly then you know you need to have yours fixed or buy a new one.

Unfortunately I'm relatively new to Atlanta and don't know anyone else with a busa to test out if it's actually the gauge cluster.

I'll try contacting who you suggested sixpack and seeing if it's something they might be able to help with. I'm really banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what caused this in the first place.

I guess for now I'll just keep disconnecting the battery when I park. Bit of a hassle, but it's not like I'm going to just let it sit there right?

Seems like it would take some time for the shift LED to drain the battery? Maybe you should disconnect the cluster and see if the battery still drains. Then you know the shift light is a symptom not the problem.

I thought I'd chime in, mine is a gen 1, less complicated (I think than the gen 2), so I don't know much about the gen 2 but agree with fallen, an led wouldn't drain a battery that fast, can you put an meter across the battery to see what you're draw is, with ignition on and off, could be a short, causing the light to stay on, speed sensor, gear position sensor, disconnect connectors one at a time.
Last resort, black tape and a battery isolator switch ;)

Back