Shift light  set up

UncleSteve

Gear good - roadrash bad
Donating Member
Registered
I noticed some new gen II owners have had minor problems setting up the shift light. If you follow this it will work the first time. And later on down the road when you disconnect the battery you will have to set it again. I keep these instructions handy for that reason.

The 08 owners manual can be a little vague when setting up the shift light the first time.
I hope this will clarify the process.

LEFT BUTTON - SELECT ***** RIGHT BUTTON - ADJUST

1. Press and hold the left (SELECT) button.
2. Turn the ignition on, continue to hold the select button down until the instrument panel boots up .
3. Release the select button.
4. Press the right (ADJUST) button one time.
5. A symbol that resembles a lightning bolt will appear.
6. Pressing the right button again will toggle through the shift light settings --- on, flash or off.
7. Press the left (SELECT) button again... one time.
8. Little dots/squares appear - this is the brightness setting for lamp.
9. Press the right button to add more dots - more dots brighter lamp.
10. Press the left (SELECT) button again- tach needle will move to default setting.
11. Press the right (ADJUST) button to move the tach needle to the desired setting.
( 500rpm increments below 8000 rpm, 250 above 8000 rpm)
12. Press the left (select) button to exit out. Ride safe - Busa159

beerchug.gif
thumb_up.gif
Thank-you

Thanx! Now that we got that figured out, Is there a way to make the whole instrument panel lighting brighter? Like the tach & speedo?

Not that I know of.... i am probably going to paint the wind screen black, this will help.

Not sure, I had my instrument panel out when replacing the stock headlite bulbs and if there is a brightness adjustment it may be back to the stock setting. If it is like any other Suzuki there is an adjustment for it. I know I can set it for my K7. The manual is kinda vague on this.

The only reference to light brightness I found was in the shift light setting procedure. When I initially read this, I thought the entire panel brightness was adjustable. And after changing the brightness adjustment, all I noticed was a change in the shift light brightness. If you look at how they wrote this part, all reference to adjusting brightness is under the shift light setting procedure.
If someone knows otherwise, please chime in.........

Maybe that's what I read. I'll have to check when I get home but that sounds like the same paragraph...

Re: Shift light  set up

Can someone Pin this, I had to remove the cluster and go back and reset the shift light.

Thanks

I noticed some new gen II owners have had minor problems setting up the shift light. If you follow this it will work the first time. And later on down the road when you disconnect the battery you will have to set it again. I keep these instructions handy for that reason.

The 08 owners manual can be a little vague when setting up the shift light the first time.
I hope this will clarify the process.

LEFT BUTTON - SELECT ***** RIGHT BUTTON - ADJUST

1. Press and hold the left (SELECT) button.
2. Turn the ignition on, continue to hold the select button down until the instrument panel boots up .
3. Release the select button.
4. Press the right (ADJUST) button one time.
5. A symbol that resembles a lightning bolt will appear.
6. Pressing the right button again will toggle through the shift light settings --- on, flash or off.
7. Press the left (SELECT) button again... one time.
8. Little dots/squares appear - this is the brightness setting for lamp.
9. Press the right button to add more dots - more dots brighter lamp.
10. Press the left (SELECT) button again- tach needle will move to default setting.
11. Press the right (ADJUST) button to move the tach needle to the desired setting.
( 500rpm increments below 8000 rpm, 250 above 8000 rpm)
12. Press the left (select) button to exit out. Ride safe - Busa159

Great post and good help thanks.

I wrote the darn instructions and could not find where I put them. I had to come to the ORG and search my own thread to get them.
I must losing it....:laugh:

pretty bad, old age is here. :whistle:

Now the really bad part,..............after I found them here..........I thought.... maybe I put them on my blackberry in the memo pad.

Yep.... there they were. Duh.

Last edited:

Good info, and hopefully a mod will see this and pin it so you dont have to search for it again later!:laugh:

I just got mine back from BlueGauges.com ...... I went with the white LED's and it appears to be brighter and looks good. If anyone is interested I can post a pic or just go to thier website.. :thumbsup:

I just got mine back from BlueGauges.com ...... I went with the white LED's and it appears to be brighter and looks good. If anyone is interested I can post a pic or just go to thier website.. :thumbsup:

i installed the hyper white led's for all the gauges, they are much brighter than stock:thumbsup:

I just found this thread, because I too, found the instructions in the MOM somewhat lacking in clarity. And I could only get it to work on mine by adding two extra steps as follows. Maybe everybody ASSUMEs these. Dunno. It had me baffled for a good 5 minutes, but then worked through it (fortunately before the battery died on me completely LOL)

Something to add for '09 owners:

-1.: Make sure transmission is in Neutral
0.: Turn the Engine Cut-Off Switch to Run

then proceed with Busa159's write-up.

Back