shelf life on oil?

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Is there a shelf life on oil? I have some (not going to say what type and start the argument!) full synthetic that has been on the shelf for at least 2 years. Haven't been riding the Busa as much, used to do 2-3 oil changes a year. Forgot about this, 5 bottles still haven't broken the factory seal on. Hate to throw that away!

Is there a shelf life on oil? I have some (not going to say what type and start the argument!) full synthetic that has been on the shelf for at least 2 years. Haven't been riding the Busa as much, used to do 2-3 oil changes a year. Forgot about this, 5 bottles still haven't broken the factory seal on. Hate to throw that away!

Good question though. Also... Shelf life of oil which is IN the bike already (and doesnt get ridden much)??

Thanks

Is there a shelf life on oil ?

I have some
( not going to say what type and start the argument ! )
full synthetic
that has been
on the shelf
for at least
2 years .

Have not been riding
the Hayabusa as much ,
used to do 2 - 3 oil
changes a year .

Forgot about this ,
5 bottles still have
not broken the
factory seal on .

Hate to throw that away !

Last edited:
Not going to go bad as six said. Oil as you no is pulled out of the ground from pockets & does not go BAD it is just refined and given additives. So use it let sit on shelf what ever.

There is no best before date on oil.
As a matter of interest, my last oil change had 5,000 miles and 5 years in the bike. I had it analyzed and it was still fine. The TBN (Total Base Number) depletion was almost negligible, meaning my oil change was just conventional practice but not needed.

I hope it’s good for a long time. When gas was $5 a gallon in 08. I had a friend that worked for a oil company in Oklahoma and bought 15 gallons of semisynthetic 2stroke oil for $150 I still have about 3 gallons left.

I used to buy Ams oil for my Busa from a private dealer. The guy was in his 80's and sold Ams oil out of his garage for like 40 years! He had a small display of Ams oil in a sealed container on his desk. I asked him about it one day and he told me he's had that since the 1970's. The oil still looked brand new! No discoloration, separation, water build up, or anything unusual. It was kept in a climate controlled garage however.

I'd run it. If it shifts rough, just dump it and enjoy the thought of having a thoroughly cleaned lubrication system.

I've done it before storage. Run a cheap oil through and dump it immediately. Then fill with good stuff and let her sit.

I've done it with engine coolant after flushing with distilled water. No way I could get enough water out to float 4 balls after filling with that premixed stuff. I called the first coolant fill a post flush flushing. I dumped it, filled with new premixed coolant. It was costly but it floated 4 balls.

Back