Shelf life for a helmet...

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
Do helmets have a shelf life...meaning if never damaged in an accident, would you eventually need to replace your helmet after several years because of age?

I've heard that you should replace one every 5 years
wink.gif

No you might need to replace the liner if it has a removable one or hit the insides with some Febreze, but you should be good to go.

I read an article where it said a helmet as long as it's not damaged would last for ever.

<!--EDIT|BusaWizard
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154317333 -->

My buddies that race say rule of thumb is 5-7 years. They usually get new ones ever 4-5 years to play it safe.

I've heard that you should replace one every 5 years
wink.gif
+1
Is that just because the old one you have is not "in style" 5 years later or does the head protecting foam's effectiveness simply dissipate?
You can replace the inner liners...but I think it is because the protective foam and shell
just don't do a great job of  protecting your melon after the five year period.

If you don't ride everyday and your lid is indoors,then it should last longer....but everyday out in the sun and smog
wow.gif

My reason for asking is that if kept in a controlled environment when not riding (indoors) it seems like it should last forever...figuratively speaking.

I read an article where it said a helmet as long as it's not damaged would last for ever.
gents?...fiberglass and the resins that bind that glass degrade over time..take a walk around yer local marina...check out some old fiberglass boat hulls...then ask yourself if a helmet has a "shelf life"...and the term really isn't "shelf life" as that would indicate that it's not being used...or exposed to gallons of salinated sweat and the elements...the term should be "Use Life".

The resins utilize "catalysts"...and anything that incorporates "catalysts"?..can only be "Stable" for a finite period of time and sooner or later?..it begins to break down and degrade...as does the protection it affords your head.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

5 years.

A helmet saves your life my absorbing impact. It has a material inside similar to styrofoam. This stuff doesn't last forever but starts to degrade after about 5 years.

Hence, every 5 years, change your rider helmet to your passenger helmet and get a new rider helmet. (Just don't tell your passenger.) :o)

Everything decays with age, pretty much no matter where you keep it..

So while keeping it in-doors and taking care of it really good should make it last longer than expected. it is still going to decay.

Heck they have found out that data written on CD's will eventually degrade due to the coating on the CD's degrades over time. I used to think CD’s were the final solution for data archiving, but even CD’s don’t last forever.. just really long…

Most race organizations specify that the rider's helmet must be under 5 years. NESBA and WERA come to mind.

Another thing I haven't seen posted in this thread is that you should never put your helmet on top of the gas tank. Have you ever seen what gas does to styrofoam? Gas fumes surely can't do your helmet any good.

Not to mention there can be significant increases in helmet safety/impact technology over a 5 year period.

Reason I posted this question is that a neighbor of mine had given my wife an older third helmet his wife had used as I had not bought one for my wife as a passenger yet.

I didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth and say thanks but that's an old helmet your dishing off on me - still not sure on age yet but definitely an older HJC. Will likely get one for the wife w/ all the perty colors she likes.

I just want to add something.
A lot of people (not board members, but people out in world in general) have no idea about helmets.

Case in point: When I showed my helmet to a friend who had been riding for years he was talking about how he tests his helmets. He said when he bought them he'd drop them a few times and if they didn't crack, they were good to go.

I'm sure there has to be at least one person that read the above and said: "Thats what I do! What's wrong with that?"

Same deal as I posted before...the inside of the helmet contains a styrofoam-type material that is impact absorbant. It absorbs impact (and saves your life) by deforming. One drop of a helmet and that stuff deforms...and no longer has the ability to absorb impacts....and the helmet is useless.

So, replace your helmet every 5 years, don't drop it, don't put it on the gas tank, don't hang it from your mirror, always place it on the ground and never on the seat of the bike, and NEVER...I repeat NEVER give it to your girlfriend to hold and then turn your back on her....cause you'll hear BANG and then "oops," and when you turn around the helmet will not be in her hands.....

5 Years? I've never gone that long on a helm. I like mine to fit tight, and normally after about 1-1.5 years it's time for a new 1. I'm sure the Helms are still fine, but i like that nice crisp tight feel of a new helm.

5 Years? I've never gone that long on a helm. I like mine to fit tight, and normally after about 1-1.5 years it's time for a new 1. I'm sure the Helms are still fine, but i like that nice crisp tight feel of a new helm.
CyKill, many helmets have replacement liners, padding, etc. that you can change out from year to year - like new. Unless, that's your excuse to buy a new helmet. That's how I would justify it to the wife.

A few years ago I grabbed an older helmet I had in the house. Put it on for old time's sake. My son said, "Dad, what's all that gray stuff on your head?" (No funny remarks...). Yep, some of the foam from the liner had decomposed.

I don't think I would use a helmet over five years old.

Back