Shaq's Disgraceful Comment!

Thinker62

Donating Member
Registered
I think this hit the news last week but not too much was said about it. I was reminded of it when reading LABusas.

Apparently, when the media was trying to play up the game featuring Shaq vs. Houston's Yao Ming, Shaq said, "Tell Yao Ming...Ching-chang-yan-wah-ah-so" Of course he was trying to be funny. But I would like to go on record and say that in today's climate, it isn't funny. And I for one find it unacceptably offensive! As much money as these guys make, you would think that they would have advisors who council them on avoiding such ridiculas pitfalls. How could one of the greatest basketball players to play the game make such a blunder. Personally, I don't care how good he is. I have lost a lot of respect for him.

I would also like to recognize the double standard that allows Shaq to get away with this kind of comment, when whites who spewed equally ignorant statements got roasted. I won't even go there with Trent Lott because it could be argued that it is much less acceptable from a government official. But it is easy to site examples of white sports figures such as Jimmy the Greek and Fuzzy Zoeller. In my humble opinion, the historical mistreatment of blacks cannot be used to justify, or tolerate racial insensitivity from blacks, while we persecute whites for similar actions.

So how can we as society correct this situation? Unfortunately, whites can try as hard as they want to point out these kind of double standards, but till we as black people call FOUL on our own, it isn't going to stop. Now i'm not trying to make a big deal out of a joke, but I was equally pissed when Tigar Woods won the Masters and the white comentator asked, "what's going to be served at the traditional dinner...Fried chicken?"

I guess its just no fun when the rabbit has the gun.

Sincerely interested in your varied opinions....

Thinker

whites can try as hard as they want to point out these kind of double standards, but till we as black people call FOUL on our own, it isn't going to stop.
I was having a conversation along these lines yesterday actually...    and we came to the identical conclusion you did Thinkie.

Eventually it will turn back the other way.. but hopefully the pendulum effect doesn't continue this time.

That was a great summation of your feelings Thinker and I agree with you. I'm not defending Shaq or anyone who makes idiotic remarks about another race such as this. My answer to this question of "Why?" is simple. It solely depends on what is at stake. Nothing was at stake when Shaq made this comment. Now let's just say for instance if Shaq ran for political office or something, then this episode would more than likely resurface again. As much as we would all hate to admit it, our futures are not totally in our control. If you tried to compare Trent Lott's statements to Shaq's...looking at what's at stake...then it would be like comparing "apples" to "oranges." Just my .02

Brian

That was a great summation of your feelings Thinker and I agree with you.  I'm not defending Shaq or anyone who makes idiotic remarks about another race such as this.  My answer to this question of "Why?" is simple.  It solely depends on what is at stake.  Nothing was at stake when Shaq made this comment.  Now let's just say for instance if Shaq ran for political office or something, then this episode would more than likely resurface again.  As much as we would all hate to admit it, our futures are not totally in our control.  If you tried to compare Trent Lott's statements to Shaq's...looking at what's at stake...then it would be like comparing "apples" to "oranges."  Just my .02

Brian
Once again, we agree Brian, and that's why I avoided the Lott comparison. The stakes are not the same, and the level of public responsibility isn't the same. But we can stay within the sports world (apples and apples) and see glaring examples of hipocrisy and double standards. Look at the idiot John Rocker. They were all over him when he made his idiotic comments.

In my opinion, the fans need to make a (financial) statement to these superstars who think they are above it all...and it shouldn't matter what color they are.

Thinker

I think all prejudice, regardless of what is at stake is intolerable. People of high profile especially should be shunned. It is thier job to come across as appropriately as possible. That's how I feel.

Still we agree, but the reality of all this can only be subject to our opinions. Can we change this? For the most part. NO. Do we allow and tolerate this? Sometimes. There were probably just as many people who probably got a kick out of what Shaq said and didn't care one way or the other. Personally, it's refreshing for me to see that some people still care about this issue and will voice their opinions honestly and without an underlying motive or coercion.

Brian

I do agree some want but if you watch sport center or most T.V shows whites or non blacks make the same type of statements ever day. Bling/bling/whatz-up homey/I'm going to the crib are just examples and we don't get pissed off or make a sence. It was a joke an nothing more. Sometimes people look to deeply into things, we as blacks do have to stop the double standard.(RUSH HOUR 1 an 2 are great movies but Chris Tucker got away w/ alot of Racial comments, all I'm saying is if you give'em then don't get mad when you recivie them.

Once again, let's not misconstrue the meaning of "nothing being at stake." Yes, something idiotic was said and a person's feelings should always matter. But as a whole, what comes out of it would be the 'stake' that the public as a whole would gain or lose from the comments. Hopefully I cleared up any misunderstanding about what I wrote.

Brian

In my opinion, the fans need to make a (financial) statement to these superstars who think they are above it all...and it shouldn't matter what color they are.

[/QUOTE]

If you remember several years ago and issue along the same line came up with Charles Barkley...The "I'm not a Role Model" thing...I veiw this incident as very much the same as the Barkley incident...Most people put to much in to what stars and high profile athletes do and/or say...And this is not the same as a powerful political leader making a statement alone the same line...Oneal does not have the power nor influence to cause harm to a great deal of people...Athletes are not "Role Models"!!!!!

So IMO your right on target...We create these multi million dollar personalities and we can bring them back to earth by sitting at the house and not participating in the events that they represent...

I do agree some want but if you watch sport center or most T.V shows whites or non blacks make the same type of statements ever day.  Bling/bling/whatz-up homey/I'm going to the crib are just examples and we don't get pissed off or make a sence.  It was a joke an nothing more.  Sometimes people look to deeply into things, we as blacks do have to stop the double standard.(RUSH HOUR 1 an 2 are great movies but Chris Tucker got away w/ alot of Racial comments, all I'm saying is if you give'em then don't get mad when you recivie them.
This is a very complicated subject. There is such a fine line between imitating someone in a funny way and trying to be funny with a derrogatory remark. Kind of like the difference between laughing at someone and laughing with someone. I can go either way, and I do frequently joke around. I am sure I cross the line at times.

And, I agree with Stunnah that sports figures are not necessarily role models. My biggest problem here is the double standard. Black stars don't even think twice before they lash out with a joke that could be taken the wrong way. But we have created an atmosphere where whites have to be EXTREMELY CAREFUL of what they say, or risk their careers. If their comments miss the funny mark, the repercussions tend to be much more severe than when blacks miss the funny mark. (What is Fuzzy Zoellar doing these days?)

The double standard is what I find unhealthy for a society, not joking in general. Personally, I think we all should lighten up. But if not, we need to apply justice fairly across the board.

On the lighter side...Yao should have answered in an interview, "That's my *****!" Now that would have been funny!

I don't know why......maybe momentary lapse of reason. Don't really understand or care to comment on such things as the issue of "race". Being a Psych major/ Soc minor I am a firm believer in the one race philosophy. The Human Race.....and we should all be treated equally and given the same opportunities. Not in this lifetime though.........never happen.

Bottom line.....another athlete proves that you CAN be a multi-millionaire AND an ignoramus.

Well in my world (Military) I think you all would be stunned at the things we sometimes say to each other. In the world of warriors we have all realized that each race has its 10% and they don't represent the other 90%.

I heard it and thought it inappropriate (Why) because I wouldn't have said it. That is the only reason! Shaq bounces a ball and puts it through a ring. SO WHAT! His opinion matters not to me. Although a joke I here jokes like that all the time. You pick the race and I know them and they are my friends and brothers. I would die for them in an instant and they for me. Race matters not to us!

Free thought and speech is becoming an expensive item now adays and I fear some really great things will go unsaid or undone for fear of offending some race or group. The day that happens we have all lost.

Marc "Howlin Mad"

In my opinion...Barkley and Shaq definitely ARE role models, whether they like it or not.  They are high profile celebrities, and kids watch them on TV and emulate them.  Shaq's comment was intolerable.  But it's acceptable to make fun of Asians.  Rush Hour is a good example.  Seinfeld's comment about, What's up with the Chinese, and chopsticks, they've seen the fork, is another example.  Jet Li was on Leno, here's a man who wants to make the world a better place for all to live in (Li) and Leno spends 10 minutes asking if he has trouble using a fork!  We know a lot less about the Asian culture than we do about any other culture in our country, and this ignorance, and that lack of reaction from the Asian community makes it acceptable to make stupid comments about them.  Louis Farakan (sp) was the only high profile person to make intelligent comments about this in his speech at the million man march when he mentioned how the Japanese have made it in this country.
    Sorry to get on my soapbox, but I was married to a Chinese woman for 8 years, this kind of stuff just bugs me.
Oh, and can you imagine what an uproar there would have been if Yao had really said, that's my *****! He'd be with Fuzzy, looking for a job, or back in China.

Alot of good points all around but was Yao offended is the real question If he was then there mayeb a problem Yes Shaq is a role model and should set a better example but lets face it what is OK coming from one black man to another is not OK from a white man and vice versa what is OK (maybe Shaq and Yao are friends off the court) from one man to another maybe acceptable but they need to set a better example in public. I have a friend that calls me fat bastard cause I have gained abot 30 pounds I am not fat but its OK We are best friends I tell him he is ugly and I can diet but would he say this on tv in front of a crowd of fat people wellllll I hope not the fact is they are regular guys I dont know the facts maybe Shaq and Yao arent friends but to be aware 24 7 about everything you say that could possibly be taken the worng way by somebody out there especially when your in the public spot light all the time . Imagine all the things you say around your best friends being recorded and you didnt know it and played on national tv across the globe . All you guys in the military think about everything you say about people from the middle east and the racial slurs that happen ( maybe you dont but I have heard alot that do) is that something you would want everyone on america to see and hear. OK I am ranting Ask Yao if he is offended if not I say move on If so maybe then there is something to b&^#@ about .

Atheletes are not role models...And should not be viewed as such...The only thing that children wish to emulate about atheletes are their physical abilities and dream of their riches...They have no idea of how these people conduct themselves outside the lime light...Role models are parents, teachers and some religious organizations and IMO that's about where it stops...

In my opinion...Barkley and Shaq definitely ARE role models, whether they like it or not.  They are high profile celebrities, and kids watch them on TV and emulate them.  Shaq's comment was intolerable.  But it's acceptable to make fun of Asians.  Rush Hour is a good example.  Seinfeld's comment about, What's up with the Chinese, and chopsticks, they've seen the fork, is another example.  Jet Li was on Leno, here's a man who wants to make the world a better place for all to live in (Li) and Leno spends 10 minutes asking if he has trouble using a fork!  We know a lot less about the Asian culture than we do about any other culture in our country, and this ignorance, and that lack of reaction from the Asian community makes it acceptable to make stupid comments about them.  Louis Farakan (sp) was the only high profile person to make intelligent comments about this in his speech at the million man march when he mentioned how the Japanese have made it in this country.
    Sorry to get on my soapbox, but I was married to a Chinese woman for 8 years, this kind of stuff just bugs me.
Oh, and can you imagine what an uproar there would have been if Yao had really said, that's my *****!  He'd be with Fuzzy, looking for a job, or back in China.
Hey Bren,

You have just put an explanation to what I meant when I said "nothing being at stake." Really liked your summation too. Now you're really starting to sound like a true Genii.

Brian

Oops! Wait a minute. Let's graduate you to "GENII+I". We just added another "I". Let's see if Sledhead can keep up with ya.

Brian

Oh, and can you imagine what an uproar there would have been if Yao had really said, that's my *****!  He'd be with Fuzzy, looking for a job, or back in China.
Hey Bren,

You have just put an explanation to what I meant when I said "nothing being at stake."  Really liked your summation too.  Now you're really starting to sound like a true Genii.

Brian
The key is this

They are high profile celebrities, and kids watch them on TV and emulate them. [/QUOTE]

Emulate the actions on TV the performance of the sport...Therefore, they are not role models...

Atheletes are not role models...
That's not 100% true. Some athletes, and other high profile stars for that matter, do a lot for the community and for society as a whole. A lot of these people are genuine and have caring hearts. It's up to the true heroes of society, the parents, to raise their children in a way that instills values, respect, pride, and dignity within themselves. How they will ultimately turn out is anyone's guess. Parents often make the mistake of thinking that it is the responsibility of teachers to teach their children values and morals.

Brian

Back