Setting up air shifter

Travis England

Registered
I have an 04turbo busa and have a question about the air shifter it doesn't seem to shift into 2nd gear if I am on the gas hard bike works fine when I shift by foot so I guessing I just dont have something adjusted quite right....how much air pressure should I use and how should I set the kill delay? I think right now I normaly use about 90 psi for my air tank and about a .065 kill time

I usually have about 120 lbs in the tank before a pass. Try making the kill time longer. The 1-2 shift has the longest throw, and needs the longest kill. If it shifts into second, the others will be fine.

how do you have the air cylinder mounted? it does make a difference. on my last bike i just bolted it on and it worked fine.(pure luck)

on my new bike i did the same install and it wouldnt shift right. got to looking at my set up and my foot shifter was a little too low which made my cylinder shaft a little short and it wouldnt engage correctly.

i ended up taking the cylinder off measuring how far the shaft of the air cylinder came out and halved it. (does that even make sense?) it was like 2 1/4" so i set the shaft at 1 1/8" (mounted) and adjusted my foot lever until it lined up with the hole in my clevis. that way i knew it was in the middle and would have equal travel up and down. works perfect now.

as far as timing and pressure. i let mps set my time through the ecu and i run at least 120 psi

On my old bike, I had it mounted to the motormount bolt, and the shift lever itself (vertically)

On this bike, I have it mounted horizontally underneath the footpeg, and mount it to the linkage of the shift lever, instead of directly to the lever itself.

And you still have to set the kill time in the ECU. At least on the Gen2 you do, I would figure that you do on the Gen1 as well.

Back