setting the cams up

jtownbusa

Registered
got the big bore for my busa 1397cc everything went together fine except the cam timing?? i got the adjustable sprockets for it and replaced the stock exhaust cam for another intake cam. i called ape for questions they gave a shops # and i got a run down as to how the timng needs to be set up. i got it the way this man told me and the bike turns over does not start and throws the ocasional back fire. pulled the plugs they seem to have some fuel on them they do have spark though. if anyone can helpme please do so i need it before i go insane!!! hopefully nothing happened to the motor while turning over.

mostly your on the wrong site.. everybody here is cool..

but thats a bit to technical for most of us..

go here..

http://www.suzukihayabusa.org

those guys are the motor gurus.. we just think it's pretty.
cool.gif

I would run a compression check on it . I think it may be out of time .

It's obvious the engine is buttoned up but do you recall if you had 15 timing chain pins between the intake and exhaust and that your marks on the sprockets were still aligned when you put the timing chain tensioner back in place ? Most times thats when the timing gets out of whack even when degreeing the cams , they have to be very close to start with .

These pins and counting of them would start at the exact center of the sprockets in the upmost vertical position .

#1 - You should have instructions with your adjustable cams... It will tell you exactly how to set them up... If you have the intake cams for the exhaust side, the cams got to be slightly different and there are additional instructions there... (My buddy had this setup... )

#2 - After you think you got it right, eye it and make sure valves are totally down on one side and up on the other... They should be opposite...

#3 - If the timing is wrong, chances are you would bend a valve, not destroy the engine... I bet you are okay if all you were able to do was barely turn it over... A buddy of mine had his wrong by 1 tooth and it had absolutely no power trying to drive it down the street... He was fortunate, no damage...

This is stretching my expertise... Just going by my memory when my buddy and I was setting mine up... (He was the expert...
biggrin.gif
)

Cloud

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128967364 -->

Back