Set me straght guys on Hayabusa

2012freebird

Registered
Ok guys, as you know I bought my 2012 Hayabusa new this yr. I have always wanted one and finally got one after being without work for 2 1/2 yrs. My first purchase within weeks of my new job was my Busa. When the Busa came out in 1999, it was the quickest, fastest, most powerful bike on the road. And as you all know by a large margin. Now we have Gen 2. Its suppost to have 11% more power then the 1st Gen. Or somewhere around 11%. . . And I know Gen 2 is a little heavier.
So, heres where my question comes in. Which Busa (Gen 1 or Gen 2) is quicker in the 1/4 mile (and trap speed), which Gen if unrestricted is faster on top end. And the big question. Is where does the 2nd Gen Busa like I have rank among all the other production bikes as far as 1/4, top speed, HP. . . I know all the variables, rider ability, rider weight, outdoor temp and humidity, track conditions, altitude, etc. . . And I know you have to set the bike up for top speed or 1/4 mile. But say you used the same rider (a good average everyday rider) and same track and conditions where would the Hayabusa place with all the other sport bikes (Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, etc. . .) out there? Because the 1/4 times and speed, top speeds and HP figures are not as impressive as I thought. And when I say not as impressive I mean against other bike stats. I know a bike that can run 9's is very fast. I just would like to know where "we" rank. As far as I'm concerned we rank #1. The bike is truely an Icon/legend. Whats your thoughts, thanks, Vinnie.

the new ZX-14, BMW1000RR and ZX-10 are faster stock. but who cares cause who keeps their bike stock these days?

Don't know about the 10, but the 14 and RR are faster. Now if you go out and look at track records etc.

I think the real question these days is which one has the most potential?

Yamaha took the AMA Superbike Championship this year, and Kawasaki took the World Superbike Championship (Aprilia was second, and have been dominant since they entered). At the strip, I think that the ZX-14 has been quicker than the Busa, because of Kawasaki's upgrades in recent years, while Suzuki has been dormant during the financial crisis.

As long as it's blue it's the fastest. Because, well... Blue bikes are faster. Yes, I just went there... :)

A bit off topic... but someone said - potential is the key word. And just because Suzuki is not doing any upgrades, doesn't mean an individual rider can't.

In short, for 1/4 mile and top speed, my Gen 1 is faster than every bike mentioned above. :muscle:

And the kicker is that it did cost me less than every bike mentioned above. :banana:

Ya know, for me, it's like this: There's always someone faster...and if you decide you want to be someone, it can be you. More than anything else, it comes down to how much effort and resource you want to put into the extreme. Just look at racers and race bikes: They don't just show up to the track and find out whose fastest. Each and every person involved, from the drawing rooms to the engineers to the pit crews to the racers have dedicated their entire being to doing their part to the best of their ability to be "the fastest". And only one of them wins each season.

That said, the Hayabusa is, of course, the fastest. And the Orange is the fastest Hayabusa. ;)

It doesn't matter which bike you own, it's only as FAST as the RIDER!

I've seen 600's walk 1k's, 14's, and Busa's because people don't realize it takes skill to ride them... :banghead:

I'll speak about what I know. I rode a Gen 2 for 5 miles- felt great, like a more refined version of a Gen 1. I've ridden my Gen 1 for 15,000. Not a huge amount, but not bad for 18 months. Most recently rode from Indy to San Antonio and back in 5 days.

With next to no modifications, the Gen 1 busa's have the ability to run in the 10-11 second 1/4 with an inexperienced rider- not necessarily possible with many fast bikes. Suzuki made a machine that is easy to ride fast, which is why so many people are drawn to the bike. Unfortunately, it isn't the most nimble bike and (especially the older Gen 1's) do not like to stop very well.

The Gen 1 busa has been the best all around bike I have owned. It tours well, is comfortable, reliable and fast. Its fun in the twisties and is a bullet-proof, reliable tank of a machine.

Lowered, strapped, geared, stretched and turbo'd- then it becomes the fastest bike on the planet.

With a reputation like the entire production line of Suzuki, no other Brand will ever match it. While others might come out with something with newer technology and more power, Suzuki has remained the one to know that if it's labeled GSX-R there aren't much aids to assist you. It's for the real rides. The majority on this forum are in the US, so there's no where to find out about the extreme speeds. Drag strips won't allow you to use the full top-end potential of your bike with out serious mods. Tracks/road courses won't bring you to the top speed either. What is left? Back roads or highways in the middle of the night and watching out for the police while you take a chance at running into a innocent family in there grocery getter.

I also have a new 2012 Busa and simply have the mind set of getting to know it better. I am fortunate enough to be moving to Germany at the beginning of the year. Once I'm there, I'll get into knowing more about using a GoPro and posting videos.

Back